Logo

Evinrude 140 parts amp rebuild

K

Kevin Johnson

" A while back I posted about

" A while back I posted about a fixer-upper boat I'm looking at that has an Evinrude 140. I got a closer look at it today and have a few more specifics and questions.

The engine Model# is 140883C. I'm guessing the '83' indicates 1983. The lower unit is stuck in gear (Shift cable is broken) and will turn the motor so everything is free. The lady (dealer) said the compression is bad on all cylinders so it would definitely need hone/bore and maybe pistons.

She also indicated the parts for that engine would be hard to find. Are most parts still available to rebuild this engine? If it is a 1983 I would surely think they are.

Also there is no power trim/tilt just the gas cylinder tilt assist. I have a 1978 Johnson 70HP with power T/T. Would this unit work on the 140 or were there different size T/T for V-4 and 3-cylinder engines. The transom brackets look identical to the ones on my 70, so I would think it would bolt right in. If my T/T would not work, can you point me to some places to find used/rebuilt units? The one on my 70 was from mechanic in Wisconsin, but I don't think he is in business anymore.

The hull on the boat is fineand the floor needs a little glass work (and carpet) but the wood is OK. The transom is cracked and needs the wood carved out and refilled with SeaCast transom repair epoxy. For $225, the hull and trailer alone are a pretty good deal.

Thanks guys. As always, I'm sure you'll have plenty of good information.

kevin "

" One more thing. The prop in

" One more thing. The prop in the 140 HP engine is a 13 3/4 X 15. Is this the correct prop for that motor? I currently have a 13 3/4 X 15 SST prop on my 70HP (hub and shaft sizes are the same), so this would be a huge bonus if that is the right prop. That would save me about $250 for a new stainless one for the 140.

Also, I'll look at the part# on my PTT on the 70HP and post that tonight.

Kevin "

" Well, with the wife's bl

" Well, with the wife's blessing (and a little coaxing) I bought the Sea Star boat today. I talked to my local mechanic and he said it will be $1500 to rebuild the Evinrude 140. He's including new pistons, hone/bore cylinders, rings, bearings if needed, complete gasket set, thermostat, carb rebuild, and water pump. All together I think that's a fair price.

Also, we've worked a deal where later this fall he will lift off the motor and just put it on a stand in his shop. That way I can work on rebuilding the transom at home and then take it back for the motor to be reinstalled when I'm done. This works best for him because he'll be busy winterizing boats until Thanksgiving and I'll be busy deer hunting until then, so neither of us really wants to deal with it right now anyway.

Joe Reeves, thank you for the correspondance on the Power T/T. However, this same mechanic happens to have a Johnson 85HP (no lower unit, blown head) that he can scavenge a Relay type T/T from. Again, I appreciate the offer and you have an excellent price for everything you included, but getting the unit locally saves a lot of transporation headache.

kevin "

Back