Logo

Driveshaft stuck to crankshaft 1983 75hp mercury

T

tom adams

" Any ideas how to get into wi

" Any ideas how to get into without harming engine or anyone have diagram of the inside, please help! "

" Tom,

You can view a parts

" Tom,

You can view a parts manual at the Mercury website. All you need is the serial number.

This is a tough problem. I am assuming that you have tried to remove the lower unit and cannot get it off because the shaft is stuck.

The next step is to remove the bearing carrier at the rear of the lower. Pull the prop shaft out and remove the pinion nut. You should be able to separate the lower unit enough to hacksaw the screws that hold the water pump and base to the casing.

Now you can pull the lower unit off, and the driveshaft and water pump and base will remain on the engine. You should be able to remove these from the shaft. You might be able to rig a puller to the shaft and pull it out of the crank. You have to improvise here because there is no puller made for this purpose, but it is possible. If you can't make this work, you have to pull the powerhead, with the driveshaft, off of the mid-section. Now you may be able to get it loose, or you may have to saw it off close to the crank, and then carefully drill out the part that is in the end of the crank. Of course you will need another driveshaft if you do this.

Even if you get this far, it is possible that the splines in the crank are badly damaged (that may be why the shaft is stuck), so you would still need to replace the crank.

Sometimes this job works out, other times it does not, but I do not know of any other approach to this problem.

Tony "

" what i've done in a situ

" what i've done in a situation with a 83 70hp merc was, drill a 1 inch hole saw in the area of the exhaust tube below where you think the drive shaft meets the crankshaft and heat the exposed connection of the driveshaft to crankshaft with a torch while trying to seperate the lower unit then put the hole plug back in and patch it over with marine text. "

Back