Logo

Volvo AQ170 Water Pump

D

doney6

" I have a 1976 Bayliner with

" I have a 1976 Bayliner with a Volvo 170 hp inline 6. As the engine was warming up I could smell hot rubber. The engine was overheating...225+ the impeller had failed. I had a spare on board, replaced the part, and was on my way. The temp came down, no water in the oil, and it ran smooth. I consider myself lucky! The hub in the impeller had spun. I've noticed that the temperature, while underway, is about 100 degrees. But when I come to a no wake or idle it climbs up to 160+. It's always done this since I've owned the boat. Is this normal? I've tried to find parts for this engine but the older it gets the parts are becomming scarce. Does anyone know where I can find parts?
Thanks in advance! "

"www.boatingsolutions.com I ha

"www.boatingsolutions.com I have found the most parts for my Volvo at this place. They ship same day and sometimes I receive the item the next day! Great people to deal with! Because of them, I have decided that I might keep my old boat for a while! As far as the Temp goes... when I slow down my temp goes down. Sounds like you may not be getting enough pressure at lower RPM,s to circulate the water properly. Unless it exceeds 190-200, it should not cause a problem! Hope this helps!"

"Had same problem on my engine

"Had same problem on my engine,caused by build up of rust, debris in cooling channels in head(are you running raw water system).Had to remove head & thoroughly steam clean internally, once you have seen amount of crap in there you will understaand why it overheats at rest(due to lack of flow at tickover, but copes ok at revs). Have had loads of experience (17 years) of cooling problems with this engine so please feel free to ask."

Back