Logo

1991 Evinrude with blown engine

T

Ted Sherburne

" I am looking at a boat with

" I am looking at a boat with a 1991 235hp Evinrude. The seller say's that one cylinder is bad and that he has been told that the engine can be rebuilt with a short block for $2,500.00. Is this realistic? This engine has not been in the water for 2 yrs. and was used in salt water. What other concerns, if any should I have? Thanks! "

Ted..... A 1991 235hp?? What

Ted..... A 1991 235hp?? What is the model number of that engine?

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)

" Joe, Thanks for responding t

" Joe, Thanks for responding to my message!I think that the engine must be a 225hp as the model number is E225TXESS - Serial No. G02574108. I took the cowling off and it is evident that spark plug wires will need replacing - so is this engine worth rebuilding? or is there even a trade-in value? The boat appears to be in good condition, but I'm concerned that if I have to buy a new engine, that I will be over spending for the age and condition of the boat. Thanks for your help! "

" Joe, Thanks for responding t

" Joe, Thanks for responding to my message!I think that the engine must be a 225hp as the model number is E225TXESS - Serial No. G02574108. I took the cowling off and it is evident that spark plug wires will need replacing - so is this engine worth rebuilding? or is there even a trade-in value? I do not want to overspend for the boad if I need to replace the entire engine. Thanks for your help! "

" Ted.... That engine is a 199

" Ted.... That engine is a 1990 225hp Evinrude. The only way "I" could tell what it would take price wise to rebuild/repair a blown powerhead would be to tear it down completely, then make a acturate estimate. In the years I've been in the business, I've encountered the price ranges from $1800.00 to $4000.00 in rebuilding the V/6 engines.

There will be other areas that will need repairing such as rebuilding the carburetors, a new VRO pump, and more than likely a new stator. Check the prices of the VRO and stator with your local dealership.

The engine will of course have some trade in value as a dealer will be able to replace the powerhead etc at cost. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

Back