Logo

Volvo AQ170 Water Pump

D

doney6

" I have a 1976 Bayliner with

" I have a 1976 Bayliner with a Volvo 170 hp inline 6. As the engine was warming up I could smell hot rubber. The engine was overheating...225+ the impeller had failed. I had a spare on board, replaced the part, and was on my way. The temp came down, no water in the oil, and it ran smooth. I consider myself lucky! The hub in the impeller had spun. I've noticed that the temperature, while underway, is about 100 degrees. But when I come to a no wake or idle it climbs up to 160+. It's always done this since I've owned the boat. Is this normal? I've tried to find parts for this engine but the older it gets the parts are becomming scarce. Does anyone know where I can find parts?
Thanks in advance! "

" The part that sounds strange

" The part that sounds strange to me is the 100 degrees while underway. That is too cold for best engine effiency and life. It indicates to me that either there is no thermostat or the thermostat is stuck open. 160+ is not too hot. However, I'm surprised at the amount of temp rise at idle. I suspect a restriction somewhere such as in the manifold or riser as the engine seems to be able to get enough cooling water through when at higher RPMs. Was the back plate on the raw water pump worn when you replaced the impeller, this could cause the pump to work poorly at low RPM. Maybe the previous owner removed the thermostat to try to control the temp problems at idle.

Recommendations:
1. Check for and correct any cooling water restrictions, especially manifolds, risers, and exhaust elbows, anything that the raw water passes through.
2. Install or replace the thermostat.
3. Make sure the raw water pump is in good shape. "

I have a chance to buy a 88 b

I have a chance to buy a 88 bayliner with an inboard engine. The boat is in great shape but I'm told it needs upper gears. The owner wants $1500.00 for the boat because of the repairs. Does any one know what this entails. I don't want the repairs and the cost of the boat to exceed the value of the boat. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you
Mike Thompson

"WHich water pump do you need?

"WHich water pump do you need? i have many at blow out prices , give us a call at route 66 motorsports 860-342-3019"

Back