Logo

1971 Chrysler 70hp Putting her back in service

G

Gene Fitzgibbons

" My father-n-law bought this

" My father-n-law bought this boat about three years ago. It is in remarkably good shape. Apparently stored under cover it's entire life, when not in the water. Anyway, right after he bought it, he took it to a service center and had the carbs serviced and the engine tuned. He promptly put the boat in the garage and covered it. That was in 2000.

I have recently decided to put the boat back in service. After cleaning the fuel tank and buying fresh, I used a mix ratio of 50:1. I hope that is correct. It seems to run OK on it.

Question: After setting up for three years with fuel in the carbs, should I just assume that they need to be serviced? When I first put the boat in the water, it was very sluggish and would not plane out at full throttle for about 20 minutes, then out of nowhere, she started spitting and sputtering then took off like a striped a$$ ape.
Ran great for about 20 min. then spit and sputter and died. Was stuck out in the lake. She would idle fine, but once put in gear would die. After about the 20th attempt and 30 min. later, she took off again like nothing was wrong. I went back to the boat ramp and put her on the trailer.

I plan to go back up in a couple of weeks and play with it some more.

Any suggestions on what to look for in an older engine like this one?

Also, is it normal for the prop to spin while in neutral? Or is this a sign of needing adjustment?

Thanks to anyone who responds. "

Sounds like you are running o

Sounds like you are running on 2 cyls and risk damaging your engine.

Take off the carbs and clean them. It sounds like an obstruction. Set the low speed jets to 3/4's of a turn.

As with all OLD Chrysler it would not hurt to replace the Ign Coil. And check the alignment of the butterfly's.

Also check to make sure that the air intake valve was open on your gas tank.

Prop does spin in neutral.

"After each yr of storage of a

"After each yr of storage of a 70hp, we drop the float bowls to clean out & check jets for obstuctions. Never having to take carbs off all the way. 0-60 every time out! :)"

Back