Logo

Cummings 59

D

Dean Travis

" Hello,
I have a single scre

" Hello,
I have a single screw diesel boat that was originally setup for an international 9 liter engine. The engine is since gone and I want to know if I can take a Dodge Cummings 5.9 engine from a truck and put it in there. Are the parts available? Who can I talk to?

Thank you

Dean "

" You can put any thing in tha

" You can put any thing in that will physically fit and bolt to your existing gear. Is at a practical installation? Thats another matter. There is a fellow in Texas who specializes in marinizing that engine, which is a great engine. He knows all about the diff years, HP, etc and can help you out. I thought he used to advertise on this website but dont recall his name right away. Maybe someone else knows. Good luck, Kim "

"I have a 5.9 cummins in a wor

"I have a 5.9 cummins in a workboat, It is getting hard to start and when at an idle it smokes a blue gray smoke.When at high idle it clears up. But even at operating temp , at idle it still smokes. It idles well with no missing, and has good top end power. I have changed the raycor filter as well as the primary filter before the injection pump. Could the lift pump be getting weak. I do not see a fittng or plug to check fuel pressure? Any suggestions. Billy"

"That 5.9 Cummins that smokes

"That 5.9 Cummins that smokes at idle may have a cylinder that is not running. Test by loosening one injector hose end fitting at a time. If that cyl. is OK, the engine will roughen up. Now tighten the fitting and try the next one. If you find one that makes no difference, that is the bad one. It will not smoke when that nut is loose either."

"Hi, Thanks for the reply. I t

"Hi, Thanks for the reply. I tried that and even had a photo tach on engine to measure rpm drop. all cylinders reacted the same and the smoke never stopped. took fuel pressure reading and lift pump pressure was low. put new lift pump on and it started better but still smokes. Funny thing is , when I take it out and open it up the engine runs clean, no smoke. I am wondering if a injector is clogged up or not spraying right, It only smokes at low idle. I have checked all fuel lines for cracks and loose connections, they are all fine, changed fuel filters, checked for water in fuel, everything looks good. It is driving me nuts. The only thing I have not done is a leakdown test and pull the injectors and have them tested. I am oystering right now and do not want to down the boat. Again thanks for your reply, all the help I get is appreciated. have a merry christmas. Billy"

Back