Logo

More Power from a Volvo AQ151C

A

Andy Russell

" Has anyone been able to eek

" Has anyone been able to eek out any more power from the venerable Volvo AQ151C, I am having a reoccuring problem with my boat which is fitted with this engine, dispite taking meticulous care with the quality of fuel used, despite changing the fuel/water filters twice a season I still manage to get a condition where first the engine is lumpy at power and then refuses to start! It will cough but fails to accelerate!
I eventially traced the problem to a stuck valve in the float chamber, where the incoming fuel pressure refuses to unseat the float valve, regardless of the position of the float!

Has anyone fitted different carbs than the twin Solex fitted by Volvo?

Has anyone got any power tweaks to gleam a few more HP from the engine,

Has anyone else had problems with stuck float chamber valves? if so have you found a cure?

Finally does anyone know the automotive designation for the block of this engine, ie is there a commercial engine reference you can quote to get valves, cams etc from an automotive dealer rather than my "oh so very expensive & incredibly rude! boat bit dealer"??

Many thanks for anyone who spares the time to help & "safe boating to all"

Thank you
Andy "

" Andy,

I believe the autom

" Andy,

I believe the automotive designation is B230F. I am not 100% sure though.

I myself am looking for an AQ 151 (or 171 ?) crankshaft in good condition. The crankshaft I am interested in provides a 3.386 inches stroke.

Good luck and thanks... "

Back