Logo

Carb Settings 1993 70HP Force

M

Mick Arnold

" I have a 70HP force which sl

" I have a 70HP force which slowly became hard to start hot or cold, with some plug fouling. It was suggested to me that I should clean the carb (a tillitson), as flooding was suspected. A mechanic friend did the carb clean, but said he had no idea what the float level should be. As soon as I pumped up fuel with the primer bulb on the fuel line, fuel ran out the front of the carb, the carb continued to drip fuel out of the air intake with the motor running. I took the bowl off and made a small adjustment to the float, which cured the dripping fuel and starting appears much improved. I have yet to run it on the water.
Question - how do I ensure that I haven't leaned things out to the point where I do something horribly expensive, like burn a hole in a piston. Is there a setting such as "x-fractions of an inch between the top of the float and the carb body" which ensures all is well?
Regards
Mick Arnold
Pt Pirie
Ausdralia "

mick:first things first a man

mick:first things first a manual will help if interested I have a seloc for sale $15.00 plus shipping next the low speed setting on carbs. hook up your water ears or in a test tank and run at idle untill engine warms up set idle speed to around 750rpm or a little more if needed.turn low speed mixture screw in until engine starts to loose rpm and then turn screw counterclockwise until the highest rpm and then a 1/4 more in the turn.a little richer is far better then to starve a cylinder.when I had my force 120hp factory setting were about 3/4 turn counterclockwise I use to set them at 1 full turn out .

" Thanks for the advice. I hav

" Thanks for the advice. I have the idle mixture screw at a touch over 1 turn. My owners manual says 950 rpm idle, so I set it at that then basically did as you described. Its just that a few motorcycling buddies have warned me that a too low float setting could result in starvation at high speed, with worst case scenario a holed piston.
I assume you are in the united states. Don't know how I'd get the money to you to pay for a manual. Would you believe that I am nearly 43 years old, and still don't have a credit card? "

"Mick, what you have to do is

"Mick, what you have to do is take the carburetor off turn it upside down and let the float rest on the needle with its own weight and set the float parallel to the carburetor body. 20+ yrs specializing in force outboards. thanks, Bret [email protected]"

Back