Logo

1996 90hp Mercury No Reverse

J

jim krzeminski

" My 1996 3cylinder 90HP engin

" My 1996 3cylinder 90HP engine will idle in neutral beautifuly and go in forward fine. When I shift into reverse the engine revs high, but doesn't engage. The cables look to be moving fine. Is there an adjustment to reverse I need to do. This problem happened suddenly. Where you disconnect the cable with the "locking black band" or clip, there are circular plastic pieces that the cables are connected to. One of them is cracked. Would that be a problem and what is their purpose? Thanks, Jim "

" Jim,

The cylindrical grom

" Jim,

The cylindrical grommets enable you to adjust the cables by turning them in either direction, but it sounds to me like the problem is not related to cable adjustment. If the grommet is cracked, it can affect the shifting mechanism, especially in reverse.

Tony "

" Tony,
The broken plastic pi

" Tony,
The broken plastic piece was under the locking clip toward the front of the motor where the cables come in. The adjusting ones are the black long cylidrical ones near the linkage with the nut attachment? The broken piece just seems to hold the cable in place below the forward cable. They push in and pull out and are about the size and shape of a nickel. Are these the pieces that could affect the reverse? They don't seem like they would affect the cable motion.

Thanks for the help,

Jim "

" Jim,

If you are talking a

" Jim,

If you are talking about the plastic piece that the cylindrical grommets fit into, yes it can have an affect on shifting, because the cable will not be held in a stationary position.

Tony "

Back