Logo

Do I need a condensor

D

DanielBunn

"First of all let me thank you

"First of all let me thank you for the advice in our previous threads, we have tried all your suggestions but we are still having trouble. We have great compression, a new cam, heads have be resurfaced, plugs, cap, rotor, wires and the carbs are in great shape, but it still idles great and dies at 1200rpm. Will reading the Selco manual we saw that the distributor had a condensor attached to it, ours does not. Spark is very weak at best and the plugs are black. We do have the correct coil for the engine (AQ130c) but do we need the condensor for the distrbutor????? The points are set at 12. If anyone can help it will be greatly appriciated, the lake is calling us.
"

"If you are using points <[img

"If you are using points
thumbs_down.gif
in the distributor, then you need a condenser; but don't need one if you are using a Pertronix electronic ignition system
thumbs_up.gif
. In any case, I am wondering how have you managed to install and connect the points without the condenser being installed.

Let's go back to basics:

1) Have you checked the distributor internally regarding the condition of the two weights and the two springs? To reach them, you have to remove both the points and the plate where the points are installed. If the weights are seized, the spark advance will not change with the increase of RPM. In that case, the engine will backfire whenever attempting to accelerate. And if one or both of the springs are broken, you will have a similar effect.

2) Remember that the distributor turns <u>counterclockwise</u> in the AQ130 and that the ignition firing order is 1-3-4-2, so make sure that the leads 2 and 3 are not swapped.

3) What is the number stamped in the distributor casting? It should be 0 231 153 012. If the number is different, you may have installed the wrong distributor for your engine."

"Ok, we put the condensor on t

"Ok, we put the condensor on the distributor not thinking that it would make that much of a difference and guess what, we were wrong. The engine turned over like it was brand new. I can not believe that little part caused that much of an issue. The engine that came with the boat and the one we bought as a spare did not have this condensor attached, we went out and bought one. So, if anyone has trouble with their AQ130C running ruff, backfiring thru the carbs and stalling when you give it gas and you think that you have check EVERYTHING then check the distributor and make sure it has a condensor.
Thank you all so much for all of your help, this sight is a wealth of knowledge. We just got home from the lake.
"

We have 89 Sumerset houseboat

We have 89 Sumerset houseboat with twin AQ131C engines. The distributors have points (just changed them over the weekend with parts purchased from Volvo) but no condensor mounted internally or externally on the distributor. The engines start and run great. How is this possible? Never heard of breaker-type ignition without a condensor.

Neither have I. For how long h

Neither have I. For how long have you owned the boat? It would be interesting to find out for how long will the points last without a condenser.

"We bought the boat in Jan &#3

"We bought the boat in Jan '07, put perhaps 15 hours or so on the engines. There was no log on the boat so I couldn't say how long the previous sets of points were in service. They weren't unduly pitted, but I changed them and the spark plugs so I could get a baseline to judge the need for future maintenance work.
Without pulling the distributors out it's a little hard to examine them for a VP part number. The only thing that makes me wonder if they are original is that the cap is held in place with 2 screws, not spring clips. On the other hand the Volvo brand points went right in and wire connectors fit on the spade terminals like they should.
We'll see what happens..."

"Upon closer inspection, found

"Upon closer inspection, found the condenser hidden under the cap hold-down screw, behind the heat exchanger tank. Don't know how I'll ever change it without pulling the distributor or at least turning it 180°.
81792.jpg
condenser location

Back