Logo

Where do I start

cliffpaul2

"I'm ready to begin workin

"I'm ready to begin working on a replacement long block 305. I have a bolt kit and gasket set and I'm ready to roll. I have it on the stand and have cleaned up and painted some recycled (great condition) parts including fly wheel, valve covers, timing chain cover, oil pan, harmonic balancer and pulley.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/cliffpaul2/DSC_5015.jpg"

These are all the parts I have so far, but I want to get as much done as I can while I save $$ to buy exhaust and intake manifolds, a fresh water cooling half system, water pump, alternator, starter, etc. I also have a good distributor from my old motor and a rebuilt 2 BRL Carb.

Any advice on where to begin with the parts I have would be great. I have a manual, but I'm sure I can learn from your experience what pieces should be installed first. Also, what pieces should I buy next in order to keep progressing? I'm thinking intake or cooling...

Thanks in advance!"

Just use marine gaskets and fr

Just use marine gaskets and freeze out plugs. Too bad you didn't build a 350 instead.

Jeff

"Give me a break. Fast Jeff&#

"Give me a break. Fast Jeff's comments didn't come close to addressing my question. Instead he criticized the way I chose to spend $1,800 of my hard earned money. Is there another way I should have taken his comment?"

"so how come you didn't ge

"so how come you didn't get the 350

could not resist it
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
kiss.gif
"

"Rieck and William: I was act

"Rieck and William: I was actually very close to moving up to the 350, but when I tried to order one, the company told me that they wouldn't give me a warranty on it unless it was a 350 for 350 swap (Something about compatibility with the outdrive or overloading it). Since I'm not super mechanical, and I knew that upgrading to a 350 would require a new flywheel, bell housing, etc. I just gave up on the idea. I wanted to make the transition as smooth as possible, and the 305 was plenty of motor for the boat for 25 years.

Jim - You're right. I should have ignored it and in hind sight, I regret posting the message.

Fast Jeff- I'm sorry I got defensive about your post, but you're not the first to imply that I made a mistake by buying a 305. I'd like to focus on working with what I have instead of regretting what I bought."

"Just curious, what is the big

"Just curious, what is the big difference between the 305 and the 350. I know one is bigger, but what are the benefits on the 350 over the 305?

My boat came with a 305 or a 350. Mine has the 350 and most of the others seem to have the 305.

Thanks!"

"While both blocks look identi

"While both blocks look identical from the outside, you can obtain more power out of a 350. Also, parts are usually cheaper for the 350, as it is a far more popular/common engine."

Back