Logo

6V71 Fuel consumption

ohjohnny

"Hi, This may be an old topic,

"Hi, This may be an old topic, but I looked at a 43' boat yesterday with a 6V71 300hp engine. The broker stated fuel consumption to be around 4GPH @ 1500rpm. From the other comments on this board, those figures would not be correct. What could I expect? The boat displaces 50,000lbs."

"6V71 is a dependable work hor

"6V71 is a dependable work horse, but have a big appetite for fuel. 15 gal/hr plus. Sounds like the broker needs to make a sale. I would use caution and research as you are on anything told to you by the broker. My Perkins 4.236 85 HP will use almost as much as he told you."

"Thank you gentlemen, for your

"Thank you gentlemen, for your insights. I talked to the owner on board two days ago, and he claimed very modest fuel consumption. He said he had never found it a significant problem, but he did state that the previous owner had told him he had measured carefully, and found the figures to be 3.25 to 3.5 gph. Are we talking about the same motor? It is not a turbo-charged engine."

"Well, gentlemen, thank you ve

"Well, gentlemen, thank you very much once again. As the replies become more and more specific, there can remain no doubt in my mind that I'm being, shall I say, misinformed by the broker and the seller. I don't think the broker knows much, but surely the owner of three years must have some intimation -however slight- that the boat uses an awful lot of fuel; ..."3.25 to 3.5 GPH", yeah, that sounds about right...
Thanks guys"

Back