Logo

2002 Yamaha 150 Idle Problems

ez_rider

"I bought a used boat a few we

"I bought a used boat a few weeks ago with a 2002 Yamaha 150 2-stroke (carb model). The motor has about 250 hours on it, and runs great at cruising speed, but has intermittent idling problems.

It starts fine cold and idles well at the dock, but after running at higher speeds for a while, it won't idle. It idles low and rough (like a cylinder is mis-firing or something), and the exhaust smokes and smells very rich, and then it dies. I can keep it running by cracking the throttle a bit and running a high idle, but it still smells rich.

I changed out the plugs, replaced the water seperator filter and cleaned the fuel strainer on the motor, but it still happens. The wierd thing is that it doesn't always do this. Sometimes it idles fine, other times it smokes and dies.

The boat sat for several months before I bought it, so it may have had some bad gas. I left the old gas in the tank (about 1/4 tank) and filled the remainder with new gas to hopefully "dilute" it enough to be OK.

Opening the choke at idle doesn't help at all, and actually makes it die faster. I thought about cleaning the carbs, but not sure if that makes sense if the choke doesn't help???

Any other ideas - timing, etc?

BTW - the compression was about 100 - 105 on all cylinders and it ran 3250 PSI and 5k RPM on the dyno before I bought it.

Any help would be appreciated..."

"I just bought an aquasport 22

"I just bought an aquasport 222 osprey with a 1987 yamaha 150 hp 2 stroke motor. The boat had a little less than a 1/4 tank off gas (50-70 gallon tank...not sure yet)in it when I bought it. The first trip out in the boat I put 25 gallons of new gas in the tank (which gave me a little over 1/2 a tank)threw her in the water and the motor ran great. The second trip out it started back-firing/misfiring on the way in, It ran ok at about 1500 rpm but as soon as I gave it more throtle it would back fire again. After getting the baot home I hooked up a 6 gallon tank of fresh gas to the motor bypassing the boats fuel system and it ran great (with no load/on ear-muffs) I think the gas in my boat is old and this is what was causing it to run rough. If that is so is there any way to salvage the gas that is left in the tank...with gas $3.00 a gallon it would be nice to be able to treat it / restore it...is that posible?

Thank you!
Rodney"

Back