Logo

1960 Evinrude 60 hp water flow stopped in garbage can

mike

Regular Contributor
" I just bought a 1960 40 hors

" I just bought a 1960 40 horse Evinrude with a new impeller installed,the guy I bought it from had a problem with this after he put in the new impeller and said the cooling lines were not seated correctly,he took off the lower unit seated them and it pumped .I started it today and it pupmed at first ,I ran it for about a minute and the next time I looked it was not pumping so I turned it off.The engine was too hot to touch and I am not sure how long it ran without water.How hot should the engine feel.Does anyone know of other things I can try or the steps to fix this for good? I would appreciate any help and thanks in advance. Mike "

"Mike.... Keeping in mind that

"Mike.... Keeping in mind that the engine is going on 42 years old, you may encounter many problems. However, there are two (2) water tubes that enter the water pump housing, and must be inserted quite a ways down into the housing so that they enter the rubber sealing grommets properly. If the previous owner did not have those water tubes lined up properly, and tightened the lower unit bolts up securely, those water tubes must have been bent bad. The only way you can be certain they were straightened properly is to remove the lower unit and remove those tubes for inspection.

Installing just the impeller is a big mistake. The water pump housing on that engine is aluminum and if it's been there for a few years, it will be pitted, corroded, etc... which will tear up a new impeller in short order. Also the plate under the impeller will have some swirl type scores or grooves which is enough to create a air pocket that will interfere with the suction action of the pump. Bottom line... Always install the complete water pump assy. I know it's a added expense but it saves one from doing the job twice.

At the top of the cylinder head, there's a plate that's attached to the head with three (3) screws. Under that plate is a thermostat. If it's there, it may be stuck shut, or broken. And yes, it has to be there. The thermostat opens at about 143°. The engine does get hot but you should be able to hold your hand on it.

The water in the garbage can should be higher than the area where the lower unit bolts are as the water pump is slightly higher than that... and always keep the water hose on somewhat so that the water in the can cannot become heated.

As mentioned at the beginning of this reply, the engine's going on 42 years old, many parts are no longer available, so spend wisely my friend.

Joe
"

" I must not have let the ther

" I must not have let the thermostat open because it started pumping again.The engine came with a 60 Starcraft 14 foot aluminum hull that does not take on a drip,the steering is very smooth and he added 2 new batterys,2 new gas tanks,seats,fishing seats,a 25 lb. foot controlled trolling motor,and a depth finder.All on a trailer with springs,working lights,and a new reciever .All for a grand total of 350$ so I could not turn it down .I will keep an eye on the water though,Thanks for the help. Mike "

Back