Logo

1989 90hp outboard nissan

J

JOE HAWKINS

I NEED A NEW PROP FOR MY MOTOR

I NEED A NEW PROP FOR MY MOTOR BUT THE PROBLEM IS I DONT KNOW WHAT PITCH IT NEEDS TO BE BECAUSE SOMEONE CHANGED THE FACTORY PROP AND NOW ITS SLUGHEST ITS RPM IS ABOUT 4000 AT BEST NOW ITS LUGGING LIKE A GRANDMA OUT OF THE HOLE EVEN AFTER YOU GET IT GOING ITS STILL SLOW PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHAT I NEED OR ATIP ON HOW TO MATCH A PROP FOR THIS NISSAN FISH AN SKI BOAT IST RATED UP TOO MAX 120 PLEASE RESPOND IST TIME TO GO TOO THE LAKE { TKS } JOE

"If you post the model/length

"If you post the model/length of your boat and state what your "ideal" wide open throttle rpm would be, I'll plug the numbers into my prop calculator and give you something to work with...."

"model-sp1690br lenght16,

"model-sp1690br lenght16,
RPM 6500 MOTOR- NS90A
serial - nissoo135i889 3B7-11440

tks joe"

"Ok, threw the numbers into my

"Ok, threw the numbers into my prop calculator. According to the Nissan specs you should be looking for an "optimum" WOT RPM of 5500-5600. That will allow you to develop maximum horsepower and get the best fuel economy.

Given the boat you have it mounted on, and allowances for gas, battery, gear etc, I also allowed for 4 passengers. (more on that further down)

Given all that data, it recommends a 13D 17P 3 blade propeller.

The closest OEM prop would be a 12.9D 17.6P Nissan product number 3B7-64541-0. A cross match number from Michigan Wheel would be 142012. With either of those numbers it could be further cross matched to the numerous propeller choices on the market today.

That should be your starting point. If you carry less than 4 people on board most of the time and go light on gear, you can probably up pitch by 1 or so, to an 18 or even maybe 19 pitch. Each increase in pitch by 1" usually lowers your RPM by about 200.

If you use the boat to waterski, and are looking for that "great hole shot" you may want to consider a 4 blade prop. It will get you out of the hole quicker, on plane faster and keep you on plane at a lower speed than a 3 blade, but you lose out on top end speed.

There is always a trade off. If you use a 4 blade, you generally select something 1/2" in pitch (less) than a 3 blade to compensate for the additional drag of the fourth blade.

Also, if you use a cupped blade (regardless of whether it's 3 or 4 blades), you subtract another 1/2" of pitch.

So, given the recommdation of a 17 pitch from the prop calculator. As an example, if you wanted to run a "cupped 4 blade" you would select a 16 pitch to account for the extra blade and the cupping.

These calculations are specific to your particular set-up. "Bob" may the same boat as you, and run a 20 pitch - but maybe "bob" always runs at 1/4 tank of gas, doesn't carry a battery and goes out by himself with little gear on board. The above numbers should realistically represent your situation.

Hope this helps - any others questions, don't hesitate to get ahold of me..."

Back