Logo

Chris Craft Safety Alert Exhaust Danger #60

dogsharks38

Regular Contributor
"Chris Craft Commanders (a

"Chris Craft Commanders (and other Chris Craft boats of the era like the Catalina, Roamer, Constellation) used a welded steel exhaust collector which was galvanized to add longevity to the assembly.

I don't know if ALL Commanders of the era used this design, or whether just the ones intended for fresh water lakes and rivers got them, but it now appears that the life span of the design is 35-years. I suspect this is not a design that was initiated with the onset of the fiberglass Commander series either, as it could well be used in older wood Chris Craft cruisers, and also in other fiberglass Chris Craft cruisers too (like the Catalina).

My 1966 38' Commander, and a friend's 1967 38 Commander both failed in the exact same way, by rusting out the drain down hole intended for winter storage. One is in Tennessee, the other is in Texas. Both boats stay in the water all year long. Boats all over the Great Lakes may or may not have a better rust chance, if they are drained down each year for storage. However, due to what I have seen, it's only a matter of time, and the time is near.

The danger is from carbon monoxide that can also get through the rust holes in small spurts. Monoxide is oderless and it accumulates in the blood stream slowly over time, and the result can be headaches, drowsiness, and even death. Therefore if you have a vintage Chris Craft (wood or fiberglass) that was built in the 1960's, please check the condition of the collectors.

Owning a vingtage boat as solid as a fiberglass Commander can be very rewarding, but it frightens me to know there is such a danger lurking in so many boats of this era, like a ticking time bomb. Products are available to replace these, and although it may take a little wrestling, the safety payback is well worth the effort and the price.

The following link below has photos and some additional comments. If you know a Chris Craft guy, please do him (and his family and guests) a favor and tell him about this potential danger. http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/message/1175813057

Sincerely,

Paul"

Back