Logo

What kind of steering do I need

R

Robertnutter

I rebuilt an old 8 ft Aqua La

I rebuilt an old 8 ft Aqua Lark boat with a 40 horse jonhson last year and the only thing i didnt replace was the steering. Im needing a hard steering kit. What kind should I use in a small boat? Thanks for any help yall can give me. I hope everyones boating days is off to a safe start so far this year.

I would go with a Uflex standa

I would go with a Uflex standard cable-helm assembly. Should be fine for a rig like yours.

"A 40HP motor on an 8 FOOT BOA

"A 40HP motor on an 8 FOOT BOAT?!?!?!!?
blush.gif

Whoa I really hope that was a typo and you meant an 18ft boat.
biggrin.gif

All kidding aside, I have a teleflex steering system in my boat that has the No-Feedback helm and I like it very much. The nice thing with the No-Feedback is the motor cannot cause the wheel to move. So, if you were to hit an object with the lower unit, it will not cause a sudden turn of the motor.

KJ"

Hey thanks for the help and no

Hey thanks for the help and no that wasnt a typo. It's a fun little 8ft ride with a 1969 johnson 40 horse on it. I think it's a little heavy but Ive got a bunch of hours in rebuilding it from the bottom up.I have a bunch of pictures but I guess are to big to add on here.Ill take more after i put the new steering in. Thanks again to you both for the help.

Back