Logo

Swapping a 1988 chevy 305 OMC cobra to a 350

S

supermike

"Here goes... We have a 1988 c

"Here goes... We have a 1988 chevy 305 OMC cobra with a cracked block. Through my internet research, I've found that it's kinda pointless to replace it with a 305. We want to replace it with a 350. So, the question is, what parts will swap over? Will I need a new carb, ECM, wiring harness, intake/exhaust manifold, heads? Any help would be appreciated."

"They'll Swap,. Bolt for B

"They'll Swap,. Bolt for Bolt, as Long Block to Long Block Assemblies.......

If you use the Same Vintages,...... Everything will Swap, bolt for bolt....."

"Awesome. Thanks. A few more q

"Awesome. Thanks. A few more questions, what do you mean by vintages? Do you mean same year? Also will we need to adjust or re-jet the carb?"

"Ayuh,....
Vintage = Year...

"Ayuh,....
Vintage = Year.....
There were Changes in 1986/ 1987,+ again in 1995/ 1996 that'll give you Grief if you try to Switch.....

And,.....
There's No Doubt that the Ignition,+ Induction is going to Need Tuning........"

Thanks again. With the increas

Thanks again. With the increase in HP will we need to switch to a different prop?

"Most likely the carb will wor

"Most likely the carb will work fine as is, contrary to what many people think. The air coming in doesn't care what motor it's going into, and more air draws in more fuel. Nothing to it! You will need another inch of two of pitch put on that prop by a prop shop.

Jeff"

Thanks a million. I'm sure

Thanks a million. I'm sure I'll be back here during the install...

"Ahoy maties, swapping a small

"Ahoy maties, swapping a small block chevy in a 1978 cuddy cabin, OMC in/out outdrive, how do you disconnect flywheel from transmission, or do you have to pull as an assy? waiting on manual, want to get started removing this weekend,Any help would be appreciated, thanks Gilligan}}}}"

"Mike, you and I are "in t

"Mike, you and I are "in the same boat" I have a 88 bayliner w/ a cracked 305 block. I have been researching short and long block 350's. Getting ready to pull mine in the next few weeks. We should compare notes and share info."

Back