Logo

Bearing in the transom shield Replace

aquaholic1

"HI all, new guy here. I'

"HI all, new guy here. I'm wondering if someone can help me out. I pulled the upper on my DP-D drive to inspect/lube the universal/shaft and want to take the opportunity to replace the bearing in the transom shield. As a former Merc. guy, I've never done this before. I see 6 bolts holding the plate on. Is there anything special with regards to pulling it to get at the bearing? Any special tools? The problem I had was when the boat was at idle, if I sat on the transom, I could feel a slight clicking or very soft thumping (I hesitate to say thump because its really too strong of a word for the condition) resonating through the transom.

I thought it might be the universal, but that appears to be fine. Props are fine, and as soon as I put the boat in gear, the clicking goes away. I really hope there isn't another problem with the drive, but time will tell. The boat is a jackshaft set up, that is in balance. Thoughts?"

""I thought it might be th

""I thought it might be the universal, but that appears to be fine."

Pretty hard to check the unis thoroughly unless you pull them apart completely. Sometimes seemingly ok bearings reveal more when you pull them apart. Like brinnelling on the crosses etc. which can cause the clicking you describe. Sometimes worse when you turn the drive from side to side.

Given you have the leg off to replace the gimbal bearing I'd put new unis in at the same time.

Noisy unis sometimes quiet when you put the boat in gear too."

"In case of doubt, replace the

"In case of doubt, replace the u-joints: it is cheap insurance.

Also, I am unsure of what model of engine you have, but in Volvo AQ packages you normally pull the engine and the bellhousing together, then unbolt the bellhousing from the engine so that you can replace the bearing. One bit of advice: consider using a sealed bearing as a replacement, so that you do not have to grease it in the future."

I need part number for gimbal

I need part number for gimbal bearing on a 1986 Bayliner 24ft. cabin cruiser.engine 5.0L 220hp AQ225E SERIAL NO. CU62529 Volvo Penta

"I suggest you just pull the o

"I suggest you just pull the old bearing and take it to a parts store specialized in bearings. This way you know you for sure you will get the right size.

One bit of advice: consider installing a sealed bearing, so that you don't have to grease it in the future."

"Thanks for the reply. I'

"Thanks for the reply. I'm going to replace the spiders in the universal.
thumbs_up.gif
"

Back