Logo

1959 Evinrude 55 hp Weak Spark on one cylinder

dcrummett

"Two problems. Weak spark on o

"Two problems. Weak spark on one cylinder, having dickens of a time pulling flywheel...even with harmonic balancer puller.

I'm starting with a condenser once I get inside... how do I know coil is good?

Dan"

These motors are famous for cr

These motors are famous for cracked coils.If they are original replace both.Not expensive.Tighten the puller bolt and give it a rap with a hammer.

"find a way to imobilize the f

"find a way to imobilize the flywheel while you tighten the puller--i have fabricated a number of flywheel holders over the years--they look like the letter "J"--the loop encircles the flywheel while the long leg rests on the floor--
lay the motor down and then set the flywheel holder on the flywheel and then let it rest against the floor--use an extention on your wrench and press downward, being careful not to fall on your face when it pops off--if this fails, take it to a small engine repair shop--before you remove the coils, tighten a stainless steel hose clamp around them so you have a ready made jig for resetting the new ones--the manuals talk about a special alignment tool but i have found that this method works well--"

"I have popped many flywheels

"I have popped many flywheels from these motors. What I would suggest is to first start out with some Liquid Wrench right on the center of the flywheel, sometimes they form rust and bond to the flywheel. Now to keep the flywheel from moving, I always use a rope in the rope sleave on the flywheel and tie it to some very sturdy part on the motor and hold the puller with my hand. If you still can not get the flywheel off, then use heat on the outside of the tapered shaft on the flywheel. You will need to use alot of heat, it will take about 3 minutes. If that still doesnt work, then you either broke/bent your flywheel or its time to break out the saw and cut until you get right next to the tapered shaft then with a cold chisel and hammer, break the flywheel off, or you can take to a small engine shop and see if they can find some other way to get it off. Jon"

"Jon, thanks. We're on the

"Jon, thanks. We're on the same page. I have the puller sitting, torqued up with grade 8 bolts, Liquid Wrench dripping off the shaft and have been hammering on the puller. Have left it overnight and done some periodic torquing. Tonight it's "come or bleed" and we may have to take the wheel off in pieces. I will do some more heating before the saw comes out. The coils and condensers are ordered and I WILL put them in even if I have to find another flywheel.

Thanks to all on this board for the quick, respectful posts to a question that's been asked a million times I'm sure. I appreciate it.

Dan"

"Wow!!! I mean WOW!

Stopped

"Wow!!! I mean WOW!

Stopped by the auto parts store to pick up some stuff and mentioned the stubborn Johnnyrude flywheel. The guy behind the counter suggested PB Blast... and said he'd heard of "miracles" with it. Then he said, if it doesn't work bring it back and I'll give you money back. So, that's a pretty good deal...I took it.

Went home squirted it on the flywheel...still under beau coup strain with the puller. Went out and mowed the yard. Came back in, squirted it again and hit the puller with a hammer about three times...the fly wheel jumped about 6 inches off the shaft! What a deal. No damage...just got it off like it was supposed to. Shaft is shiny, key way is still intact... Wow!

Dan"

Back