Logo

Question AQ130C270

"Hey all, that time of the yea

"Hey all, that time of the year again in Michigan. Have a curiosity question for anyone in the know. I have the '75 130C/270 and where the motor mounts up to the transom, there is a brass cap about 3/4 inch in diameter that unscrews and lifts out with about a 3-4 inch shaft on it. i have looked in the manuals without finding it. Any ideas as to what this is for? I can send a pic of it if nobody has any ideas."

I will try to get a pic upload

I will try to get a pic uploaded in a day or two. Supposed to be pretty nasty in Detroit for the next couple days so will have to climb up in there and get a pic when I can.

"Jim, please do upload a pic w

"Jim, please do upload a pic when you can...I am curious to see this as I have the same engine/drive setup as you do and cannot recall seeing this on mine."

"okay, if I did this right, th

"okay, if I did this right, the pic of this little cap will show up below. I think it is a mechanical RPM or Speedo connection point possibly. The center pin is D shaped and only about an inch long.
71056.jpg
What is it?

"Jim, it's hard to tell bu

"Jim, it's hard to tell but that brass cap looks very much like the drive shaft bearing lubrication point on my AQ130C and it appears to be in the same spot, although it is a little hard to tell from the closeup photo. Is there a zerk fitting on the top of the brass cap?

El, are you out there? Can you shed some light on this?"

"There is no zerk fitting. Th

"There is no zerk fitting. The cap itself unscrews and there is a "D" shaped pin on the end of it and the cap unscrews and the hole is about 5/8" in dia. It is full of grease, but that "D" shaft is making me think it is some type of mechanical RPM/speedo. Reminds me of the connection point for the speedo on older Chevy trannys. The brass plug is about the same size as the old mechanical floor mounted dimmer switches of that same era."

"I've read that some drive

"I've read that some drive shaft bearing lube points on these engines do not have the zerk fitting on the cap like mine does. The V/P User manual is not real clear on lubricating the drive shaft bearing (or at least it does not apply to my setup):

71067.jpg
"

"Jim, I think that Bob is corr

"Jim, I think that Bob is correct. However, you may want to consider replacing the cap for a grease nipple (zerk fitting), as that will make greasing the bearing much easier and less messy by just using a grease pump."

Back