Logo

Convert OMC Cobra to Merc Outdrive

happycamper

Ive had it with this OMC. Noth

Ive had it with this OMC. Nothing but trouble and now it wont even shift.
The motor is an OMC 460/330hp with a Cobra outdrive. The motors tow years old and shes fine but the outdrive made some noise last season and now wont even shift and I really dont want to rebuild it again. This would be the third time 5 years.
I dont want to junk the boat either so can I swapp outdrives to a more reliable one?

Thanks

"Ayuh,...... You Sure Can.....

"Ayuh,...... You Sure Can........

Start by Ripping Out the Motor, Transom Assembley,+ Drive........

Then Reinstall Whatever Mercruiser you'd Like.......

Mercruiser Never used the Ford power,....
So it Has to Go as Well........"

"..."Mercruiser Never used

"..."Mercruiser Never used the Ford power,.... "

Are you sure? I seem to recall a 352 Ford was once used.

Jeff"

"Merc used both the 302,+

"Merc used both the 302,+ the 351 in the old Model 1s, in the mid/late-70s........

But,.... Those are Small Blocks,+ Won't Help in Sean's Problem........"

"not the answeres I was hoping

"not the answeres I was hoping for but thanks. anyone want a two year old 460? all new external parts, risers, electronic ignition, carb . . ."

I was told today that I can sw

I was told today that I can swapp out the OMC Cobra drive with a Volvo SX drive. Same through transom holes.
Any truth in this? Is the Volvo SX drive a good drive?

"Ayuh,.....

That's Some

"Ayuh,.....

That's SomeTimes true.......

But,..... I'm Guessing that your's is a King Cobra,......
And,...... It's a breed of it's Own........

Volvos are a Great Drive,........ IF it'll swap with Your Model........"

"I know its been a while since

"I know its been a while since this thread was active, but ... I have a 1990 21' Lavey Craft with the OMC (Ford) 460 Big Block. The outdrive has "King Cobra" decals, but from research I have determined its a standard Cobra (does not have the hump on the upper). I am going to attempt the SX conversion, the Techs at Marine Parts Express has assured me it's a bolt on replacement. We do however, have to bolt the belt driven water-pump to the engine case, this is my only worry, due to room being an issue in the engine compartment.

Any thoughts/insight would be greatly appreciated."

"Jabsco make some pumps that b

"Jabsco make some pumps that bolt directly to the crankshaft, I have seen them for Volvo used on Chevys not sure about the Frod but its worth a check!"

Back