Logo

Ran out of gas and now will not start

"Probably picked up abunch of

"Probably picked up abunch of Crap from the bottom of the tank,......
Check the Fuel Filter......."

The engine is a 5.0 GXI - I t

The engine is a 5.0 GXI - I tryed changing the fuel filter and checked the fuses. (just in case)

I can smell the gas and it seems like it is flooded so I give it a day or so and try again but it does the same thing. I tried starting with the controller all the way up. (manuel says to do so) but still it will not start.

Any suggestions?

"Fuel pumps aren't big fan

"Fuel pumps aren't big fans of running out of gas and the impeller is usually the victim. Check the fuel pressure on that motor.

When you cranked at WOT (Wide Open Throttle), did you verify that you have spark?"

"Jim,

I would not know how

"Jim,

I would not know how to check the fuel pressure on the motor.

When turning the motor over, It almost started once. I did not check the spark on the plugs.

Because of the nature of your questions leaves me to believe that I would be better suited to get professional help of a service technician.

I do greatly appreciate you taking the time to repond to this thread."

"A fuel pressure test is easy

"A fuel pressure test is easy and the gauge isn't very expensive. Look on the fuel line for what looks like a tire valve. That's where the gauge attaches and you would need to make sure it's tight before turning the key to ON.

If you have an Advanced Auto Parts store, go there and borrow one- they loan tools. Tell them you need one with a Shrader valve. Also, since the gauge should have a bleeder on it (gets rid of air in the gauge), you should take a clean, clear bottle with you so you can take a fuel sample. It's the perfect time to do that.

If there are two lines attached to the throttle body, your pressure should be about 30 psi unless someone can indicate otherwise, as stated in a V-P manual. I would defer to the manual on this but on an Indmar TBI (which is really the same motor), it's about 30 psi.

When you turn the key ON, listen to a 2 second buzzing sound. If you hear nothing, check your safety switch and lanyard, or the fuel pump relay and fuse. They're clearly marked on the motor."

"Jim,

You made it sound so

"Jim,

You made it sound so easy! I will do exactly what you stated and get back to you. I appreciate the information.

Thank you very much."

"Jim,

I just checked the fu

"Jim,

I just checked the fuel pressure and it came in between 15-20 psi. Based on what you wrote I am guessing that I need to replace the fuel pump/pumps?"

Back