Logo

1998 Yamaha 115 2 stroke wonbt start after sitting several months

ballouix

"Hello- I'm a new poster h

"Hello- I'm a new poster here, and a mechanically challenged boater. I have a 1998 Yamaha 115 outboard that won't start after sitting in my driveway for the winter. I had it serviced last year, and it ran fine the few times I got out in the Fall. I have electical power, as the trim/tilt works and the starter seems to be doing its best, but it won't turn over. With a neighbor's help, I have checked the spark plugs (all 4 are new) and put fresh gas in. When I crank it, the motor never catches, and it seems like nothing is sparking. I have had problems with water in my fuel tank before- does anyone have any ideas short of me towing it to the repair shop? Thanks in advance!"

do u have spark?
compression

do u have spark?
compression check
unplug the white wire on the cdi box and see if u have spark

"Thanks for the response- I do

"Thanks for the response- I do have a spark, and I was finally able to get her running by spraying Sea Foam Deep Creep on each plug and into the chambers. I also added some water absorber to the fuel tank, and I think that was the root of my problem- I had work done on the motor last fall and the mechaznic informed me that there was a LOT of water in the fuel tank, so I think condensation over the winter is to blame. Again, thank you!"

"Jim, had a similar problem wi

"Jim, had a similar problem with my 150. Found out that the battery did not have enough CCA to engage the computer. Got a 850 CCA battery for EFI engines and fixed the problem."

Back