Logo

Which battery should I use

maxtor

Contributing Member
"I'm shopping for a new ba

"I'm shopping for a new battery and have been given conflicting advice so thought I would ask here. One person told me that I should get an 800 CA Battery, but yet a guy at a battery shop near me told me that a 650 CCA battery would be better. I'm putting this in a 18' Bowrider that has a 120HP Mercruiser in it. The only other things I run off the battery are a Marine Radio and a gps/fish finder. I don't have enough room for two batteries.

Which would you guys suggest?

Thanks"

"The 650cca will Easily Start

"The 650cca will Easily Start your motor,.....
It just doesn't give you as much Reserve Power, as a Bigger Powered Battery......"

"What do you mean by "rese

"What do you mean by "reserve power" Bondo? Never had to worry about battery selection before so I want to make sure I make the right choice.

One other thing. If I decided to go with two batteries, which would be better, the switch for going back and fourth or selecting both, or an Isolator?"

doubt you will need two batter

doubt you will need two batteries. 650 is plenty for that application. You'll never know the difference. More importantly in my opinoin is that you go with a reputable brand (i.e. Interstate) and factor in which has a longer warranty. Batteries last 5 to 7 years if maintained.

"If you decided to go with two

"If you decided to go with two, the isolator will allow you to charge both when running. If you have two and place on both without the isolator, you will shorten the life of the batteries since even though they are the same batteries, they have different voltages (slightly). Jon"

Back