Logo

How hard to change the valves on a 43L

20 baja outlaw

"I think I might have a bent v

"I think I might have a bent valve, or something in the head... Maybe a pushrod? How hard is something like this to change, I have all the parts I need."

"After your other thread about

"After your other thread about a Bad Noise in your motor,........

I Think you need a Real Mechanic to See what's going on.......

You'll need to Tear-Down the top half of your motor to Change the Valves......
The Heads have to come Off......"

"Like I said I'm not afria

"Like I said I'm not afriad to get my hands a little dirty. I got alot of mechanical experience, but I've never had this type of problem. I was told that the noise I hear is the motor pinging. My guess is that a valve is stuck or not seated properly, too bad there is no easy fix."

Hmmm. Valves dont just bend. Y

Hmmm. Valves dont just bend. You can ping until the motor is ruined and not bend a valve. Burn a hole in the piston crown yes but bend valve - i doubt it.

You can learn alot by removing the valve covers and inspecting valve lash. Oil pressure and compression good?

"Well oil pressure is around 1

"Well oil pressure is around 15-20psi at idel. I never heard a rod or cam bearing sound like loose change rattling though, I guess I'm going to have to tear this motor apart."

"[b]"I guess I'm going

""I guess I'm going to have to tear this motor apart."

I Guess Soo.....

Between This thread,+ your Other thread,......
With All the Questions you've been Asked about the conditions of your motor,.....
All you can do is come back complaining about a Noise, that We Can't Hear.......

You've been given several different Diagnostic Ideas,+ you Never come back with Test Results.......
Just How are We supposed to Help you with No Feedback,..??..??..??........

You Claim to be a Mechanic,..............
Personally,........
I have Serious Doubts about That........."

"Keith, I dont have through hu

"Keith, I dont have through hull exhaust on this one. Are there other flappers or did you mean the ones on thru hull tips?"

"Yes there are other flappers,

"Yes there are other flappers,They should be just aft of the exhaust elbows. I think your motor has a Y pipe and they should be in there. Sometimes the rubber around the flappers wear away and this allows the metal to be exposed and clang around."

I think Bondo otta just stick

I think Bondo otta just stick to turning wreches. We'd be better off without his "helpfull advice". What do you guys think?

"Thank you guys... I am only 2

"Thank you guys... I am only 21 years old, I'm NOT claiming to be any type of master mechanic obviously or I would not be here asking questions in the first place. Funny you say that about the flappers keith, It sounds like it is coming from that area!"

Lots of folks have been tricke

Lots of folks have been tricked by noisy flappers into thinking all kinds of bad ($$$) things were going on there.

JEff

"Whats involved in pulling the

"Whats involved in pulling these off? I've got room to get in there, doesnt look too bad... I just fired it up and it actually does sound like a flapper rattling, especially the port side! You guys might have saved me thousands of dollars!!"

"That flapper you hear, it won

"That flapper you hear, it won't hurt a thing if you leave it alone. You only hear this when the boat is out of the water right? I had the same problem and the flapper is still there. No problem."

"If your problem is exhaust fl

"If your problem is exhaust flappers, the problem will not have a rythmic hit to it as much as an engine ping or click will have to it. My uncle has been running his boat like this for 15 years and he has had no problems, haha. But BEFORE you think about tearing down an engine, stick to the basics, ie compression test, pull the valve covers to take a peak (center bolt, the old 2 piece rear main are a pain), even check timing. I did those basic steps when my exhaust valve seat crapped the bed and I lost compression out of once cylinder. The pinging was actually a loose pushrod since the valve was somehow stuck in the down position. Hope this helped. Jon"

"I can hear it while its in th

"I can hear it while its in the water too,and it doesn't sound very rythemic. It will do it for a few seconds, stop then your hear it again. I'm hoping it's something basic as I paid over $2,000 for this used motor a marina sold me in november! I want to run the boat this weekend, but I dont want the motor to grenade with the ladies aboard."

"If you are really concerned a

"If you are really concerned about the motor, do a compression test. Or you can just take the exhaust elbows off and replace the flappers, probably the easiest thing to do, then you can have peace of mind. Jon"

"Baja 20 Outlaw:

"I p

"Baja 20 Outlaw:

"I paid over $2,000 for this used motor a marina sold me in november!" Perhaps you should take it back to the marina that sold it to you. Politely ask them to check out the noise you are hearing and also ask if you can observe what they do to learn.

We all were novice boaters and mechanics at one time and learn along the way by trial and error. If you plan on repairing your own boat, go to eBay and search for the FACTORY engine manual for the year of the engine and O/D. Buy it and READ it from front to back in your spare time to become familiar with how the engine and O/D operate. It is also full of service information and Do's and Don'ts. I enjoy reading them and the information you retain can get you on/off the water due to a simple problem.

Case in point: Today I started installing a new engine wiring harness on my 4.3L. It required removing the tape from the old harness to see what additional circuit tap-ins were there and how the wires were routed. On the shift interrupter switch I found that the screw holding the ground wire in place was very loose and was getting ready to cause a problem. I'll remember that item and someday it will come in handy to have that knowledge when it doesn't want to shift correctly; check the wiring!

Bondo has a good point. When asking for help, check the items in the information provided by the member volunteers and report back with the findings in order for them to guide you.

Grin and bear it and learn. Knowledge of you boat's powerplant will keep you from panicing when it breaks down and unnecessary part swapping (shooting ducks with blinders on).

You won't get burned by a dishonest mechanics in the business that sells you what you don't need. W.C. Fields (early 1900s pool shark and comedian)used to say "Never give a sucker an even break". Don't be a sucker. A crooked person can see you miles away if you don't have the knowledge of your boat. Good luck.
Guy"

"Thankyou guys. The marina wan

"Thankyou guys. The marina wants nothing to do with it, as we had an arguement over the motor leaking oil due to them overfilling it. I checked the oil and it was full,plus there was about 2 quarts in the bilge! They tried telling me the motor was making its own oil and had an internal problem, BS! They must have really thought I was young and stupid..."

"I get pretty sad when I see s

"I get pretty sad when I see someone maligning one of our most knowledgeable contributors, in this case Bondo.
Bondo and several other experienced boat technicians are the heart and soul of this site, and without their input and help there would be a lot of folks out there wasting time and money doing unecessary things to try and get their boats running. Bondo and others contribute their time and expertise for no other reward than to try to be helpful to others. I have read many many posts where Bondo has provided invaluable advice and tips. In the case of this topic Bondo is simply calling the situaton like he sees it.
We would all be better off to try and remember this is a site where folks try to help each other, not put others down."

Back