Logo

1977 Evinrude 140hp engine not firing on one side two cylinders

B

barberman

"Motor. wasnt firing on right

"Motor. wasnt firing on right side. #One and three cyl. it would run on the other two but knew I had a miss. the plugs would fire out of motor but not in? I tried the spark gap. test? homemade 1x4 with nails. and no spark would show at all cylyders. with plugs out. Looked at and ohmed sensor and charge coil and all ohm acording to book. Is the power pack bad. Any advice before I start Purchasing Parts. One more thing is the stator.??? the Charging coil. or the timer base assembly, I mean do they come together if thats my next purchase item."

"Does it have one powerpack or

"Does it have one powerpack or two? If two, I would try to switch them and see if your problem moves to the other side."

Before purchasing I would chec

Before purchasing I would check for signal IN from sensor to power pack. However most likely the PP.

"I ohmed the sensors and they

"I ohmed the sensors and they checked Ok. 10-12Ohms. will a digatil meter work for voltage ck, or have to have a multimeter. do u unhook from power pack and hook across both leads. does it matter of neg. or pos. lead. and A/C setting what should it read?"

"The best is a peak reading me

"The best is a peak reading meter, but any digital or analog might do. Measure between ground and each of input cables from stator and sensor. Just to be sure You have power/signal in.
As for the values, I do not have them and they are not that important when it comes to sensor coils. The signal only triggers a diode."

WEll I did the test. But bet

WEll I did the test. But between the two leads.
First sensor coils. One was .118 V the other .121 V
the Stator (charging coil) was 90-112 V.
So input is there. and ign. coils ohmed ok . So I guess order a power pack.
I did get shocked from power pack when touching on wire .?? (forgot to turn key off)

"You state: "I tried the s

"You state: "I tried the spark gap test with the homemade spark tester 1x4 with nails. and no spark would show at all cylinders. with plugs out".

If you have spark doing this test when simply using the spark plugs (very narrow gap) BUT no spark using the 7/16" gap (very weak spark), and assuming that the engine is turning over at least 300 rpms, I would strongly suspect the stator regardless of what reading you're obtaining.

If you do have spark when simply using the spark plugs (do you?), remove the flywheel and visually inspect that stator for cracks and a sticky substance oozing out of it.

Let us know what you find."

"Joe. I suppose your talking

"Joe. I suppose your talking of stator as outside large coil Im calling the (charging coil)
there is no sign of nothing ozing? painted green in color but looks fine. I have fire on only two cylinders. with plugs, not on the other two. (with all plugs out) spark test nothing>? But voltage as indicated above at those locations. and coils ohm out to spec,."

"Just to eliminate any lack of

"Just to eliminate any lack of communication.....

The stator is a two fold component and is located under the flywheel. The small series of coils on both sides pertain to the battery charging circuit. There are two large coils, one each located at the front and rear of the stator that supply approximately 300 AC volts to the powerpack capcitor. If either of those two coils start to fail, crack or weep a sticky substance, that causes a voltage drop to the powerpack resulting in weak and eventually no ignition/spark.

I agree that it's unlikely that a failed stator would affect only one bank but I have this hangup about not overlooking anything.

I assume you had the flywheel off to visually check that stator. If not, I'd suggest you do so to eliminate anything that might prove questionable.

An ohm meter test.... Hi Ohm setting. Meter leads between the disconnected Brown and Brown/Yellow leads should show a reading of 630 ohms +/- 75 ohms. Does it?

Sensor coil ohm test.... Meter set on Lo Ohms should read 8.5 ohms +/- 2 ohms.

None of the above wires should emit any reading between the wire and ground.

If all the above checks out, the only component that remains, as you've suspected, is the powerpack. You can use the circuitry itself to check the pack by simply switching the sensor wires and coil wires around to the known pack terminals that are firing.

If you can make the non firing coils fire, then obviously thay are okay. And if you can make the non firing sensors function to fire a coil by changing their position on the pack to a known functioning terminal, then just as obviously they are okay..... which leaves the powerpack."

"all coils Ohm ok,, mentioned

"all coils Ohm ok,, mentioned that earlier.
But the stator? brown and brown/yellow shows only 148 volts off power pack. and only 92v on pack. With a digital meter not a peak meter. not 300v. the sensors show .112 V on power pack.? its this indicating a stator not generating enough. but still sometimes the two will fire and start."

Back