Logo

Exhaust Flapper

lee42lee

I have a 1996 Larson with a 5.

I have a 1996 Larson with a 5.7GL and I am in the process of putting a new engine in it. When I removed the old one I noticed my flappers in the y pipe were gone so I had to clean everything out. My question is that I have read where Volvo doesn't want you to replace them and they want you to fill in the holes for the pins but I wonder if this is safe. I would hate to get the new engine in and then have water get into it. What do you all think?

"Always follow what the father

"Always follow what the father of the creature (Volvo Penta) tells you to do, unless you have a good reason not to do so.
biggrin.gif
"

Ok let me ask you another ques

Ok let me ask you another question. I found the flapper when I removed the stern drive and it was blocking one of the exhaust holes. My question is that the other flapper is also missing but it isn't in the y pipe or bellows. Do I need to take the stern drive apart and see if it somehow got in there? I have removed the prop and there isn't anything behind it. I know the previous owner had the engine out so he might have gotten it out then. Just so you know this is a SX-Cobra drive. Thanks for all your help.

Lee Harrell

"I have not worked on SX-Cobra

"I have not worked on SX-Cobras before, but I would check first that there is nothing blocking the upper gear after the exhaust bellows, then I would remove the lower gear and check that everything is clear inside."

I also have SX-Cobra (twin

I also have SX-Cobra (twins) that one of the exhaust flappers had fallen apart. I was able to pull it out through the exhaust opening under the cav palte on the drive.

The way that the exhaust is set up on a SX there is a possibility (if you got lucky) that it may have come out on it own. Or it may still be in the drive itself like mine was.

The only reason that I noticed it was because the engines exhust didn't sound the same so I looked around for a reason (blockage) and I was able to see the flapper just sitting in there. Once I removed it they sound perfect.

I am currently changing my manifold and risers and I have removed all the other three flappers for good. This is a contested practice but is recomended by Volvo.

Back