Logo

CAVEATS RE NEW POWER PACK

billvv

"I am about to install a new P

"I am about to install a new PP and am concerned I could destroy it due to an underlying problem with my 77 25 HP manual start Ev. w/ Type II CD w/ Sensor Coil. There is no spark at the plugs (new plugs & Ig. coils}and no simple neon flash out of PP terminals B & C. I do have a neon flash from terminals A & D fromt he Charge Coil.

Resistance is w/i specs on all coils and the kill button checks OK. New H2O pump, carb rebuilt, head trued and all wires look good including under the flywheel. Compression is 92 & 94.

The engine overhated and froze up but started when cold B4 repairs. After repairs the engine started but died after less than a minute with the old coils which were cracked and out of specs {resistance}. After that no spark even with new Ig. Coils. Thats when I retested the PP for neon flash and there was none although earlier there was.

Am I overlooking something which will destroy the new PP just received from Marine E.????? I have a digital Ohm/V. meter and simple neon test light. PLEASE HELP WITH INFO. Thank you in advance."

"William,

Is that: [url=""]

"William,

Is that: Sierra 18-5758 - Power Pack?

I'm sure someone here on the board can help, but you could also call Sierra's tech support line at 217-324-9428. They have a very good group for help with troubleshooting their products."

"As Long as your parts looked

"As Long as your parts looked good under flywheel,no rubbing and overheating on flywheel,wires ok,no raw area's,your prob,is prob just the pack.Hook it up,ck for spark and go fishing.dont forget to re-torque flywheel.The ignition timing should also be checked,anytime a pack is changed,..just FYI."

THANKS ANDREW AND JWB
I chec

THANKS ANDREW AND JWB
I checked w/ Sierra Tech. B4 receiving JWBs response and their advice agreed w/JWB. The engine is up and running.

There really are not any words that I can think of to properly thank the Board and Marine Engine for the service provided to guys like me. THANK YOU. I have learned a lot by reading the Message Board and it is too bad every boater does not know of the great service you provide. Thanks again.
Bill

"TIMING & SYNCHRONIZATION

"TIMING & SYNCHRONIZATION QUESTIONS.

The degree marks are very prominent on the fly wheel but what do you index it to? Seloc has a photo that shows a pointer but there is none on my engine and the OMC catalog shows nothing on any of the apppropriate parts.

As to synchronizing the carb to the timing Seloc says "loosen the center screw on the throttle lever and move the lever in or out to match the line on the cam". Again, the photo does not match my model 25702. My cam follower is attached to th face of the intake manifold w/ no left or right adjustment I can see. The cam follower can be moved in to the meet the cam by rotating the "adjustment lever" (OMC Part #320287} mounted on the starboard end of the throttle shaft. Still there is no L or R movement to align w/ the mark on the cam.This may be a mute question when proper timing is achieved. Your comments please.

Bill"

Back