Logo

Alpha 1 Lower Unit ReInstallation

guyjg

Gold Medal Contributor
"Guys:

I removed the L/U

"Guys:

I removed the L/U of my 1987 Alpha 1 w/ O-ring on the top of the shaft and replaced the entire water impeller housing; the bottom section had apparently been cooked once and was partially melted and distorted.

On one page during inspection of the impeler, the factory manual talks about removing any excess 2-4-C lubricant from inside the impeller housing if you are installing a new cup in it. The one I bought came pre-installed.

On another page, it states to apply a small amount of 2-4-C lubricant inside the impeller housing to aid installation of the housing over the impeller. I did not use any 2-4-C to install the housing. Should I take it off and dab a little 2-4-C inside it?

The manual also talks about a "slinger". A reference marker arrow points to under the shaft oil seal (the seal on top of the impeller housing). I saw nothing there. Are they referring to the impeller?

When re-installing the L/U, is the plastic tube over the impeller housing copper water tube there for alignment to the upper unit copper tube that hangs down loosely? I noticed that the upper housing tube is keyed since when I pushed it upward and turned it slightly, it seemed to lock into position.

Lastly, do I need to apply any sealant between the upper and lower units? I could not clearly see if there was a sealant or if it was just gunk on the mating surfaces.

Thanks, Guy"

"1. no need to disassemble and

"1. no need to disassemble and grease,just don't run dry.(You knew that)
2. "slinger" is rubber ring above pump.
3. tube is there to guide pipe. top of tube has rubber bush and can move.
4. no sealant. replace quad ring on oil passage. nothing else needs sealing."

Scott:
Big thanks; just wan

Scott:
Big thanks; just wanted to cross my T's and dot my I's before installing the L/U since it is my first time.
Thanks again. Guy

i use a little white grease on

i use a little white grease on o-rings so they stay in place and seat during installation.

that little O-ring likes to ju

that little O-ring likes to jump out at the last minute. Thry the extra grease trick...but watch it if it hits the ground it like to disappear.

"Thanks fellas.
The 1st att

"Thanks fellas.
The 1st attempt just wouldn't mate together the last 1/8". Pulled it back off to check every thing out. Got a mule from next door to hold the L/U while I made sure the water tube, shift pin and drive shaft were all aligned at the same time, jiggled the prop shaft to the left a little and it slid right together like sticking a key in the lock. Filled it with gear oil. Will fire it up tomorrow with the ear muffs and check for leaks. Guy"

Back