Logo

Rebuild AQ145

sea_esta

"I have twin Volvo AQ145's

"I have twin Volvo AQ145's, both original from 1984. Years of neglect before I bought the boat in 2001. Both are getting tired and probably need to be rebuilt, but if it's cleaper to buy an already rebuilt engine, I'd rather do that. Same with the Volvo 290 outdrives. Any suggestions as to cost and sources?"

"If you are on a low budget, o

"If you are on a low budget, open the engines and, if the cylinders do not need to be rebored, then hone them, re-ring the pistons, put new rod bearings, plane the head, do a valve job, install new timing belt (possibly with new timing gears if they are pitted), rebuild carbs and distributor, and away you go (well, almost). Basically, you need to buy (per engine) one set of piston rings, rod bearings, a full set of gaskets, timing belt, tensioner, carb kit (2 of them), raw water pump impeller, and a few more bits.

You can also get a couple of complete car engines (Volvo B23 blocks) from an autowrecker and marinize them. If you search in the forum, I have discussed how to do this before.

When it comes to the outdrives, I usually replace seals as required. Meanwhile, I have found that it is cheaper to run them to destruction (by the way, an almost impossible task
biggrin.gif
) and replace them with used units instead of rebuilding them."

"The concern I had was the lac

"The concern I had was the lack of available parts. Are most of these parts available still? As for the Volvo B32 blocks, I'll research your postings for the refitting and then see if I can find them, thank you.

My engine guy says there is also a baffle plate issue in one of the drives. What is this for and can it be replaced without removing the engine or drive?"

"Most of the parts are availab

"Most of the parts are available. Some parts you can use automotive, as they are identical but cheaper than their overpriced "marine" counterparts. This includes timing belt, timing gears, engine block, pistons, bearings, crankshaft, head, seals and gaskets, etc. Marine parts are the carbs, the intake and exhaust manifold, the fresh water circulating pump, alternator, starter, raw water pump, fuel pump heat exchanger and water tank, oil cooler, distributor, pulleys, and some other minor stuff. As you see, the AQ145 is nothing but a marinized car engine (Volvo B23).

Regarding the baffle plate issue, can you give more details?"

Back