Logo

Identify leg model and questions

cam245

Contributing Member
"As I am unfamiliar with Volvo

"As I am unfamiliar with Volvo legs could someone identify this leg for me on a boat I am considering.

My questions are. In either forward or reverse gear (engine not running) should the prop be locked up in one direction, as in the Merc legs or is it normal to be able to turn the prop a small amount against the engine by hand. Or to put it another way, Can the drive clutches only be checked with the engine running and drive the boat to see if they slip.

My second question is. This leg has tilt only. Can it be made to trim as well, or a trim unit fitted?
70621.jpg
Leg

"Hi,

That leg is a 280, and

"Hi,

That leg is a 280, and the prop should be fully locked in one direction when engaged in either forward or reverse.

The 280 you have is tilt only. And while there are some power trim versions around, yours would require too many modifications (including new transom shield) to make the conversion economically viable."

"You are welcome. By the way,

"You are welcome. By the way, I forgot to tell you that you are contemplating purchasing a boat with a virtually indestructible leg. And also, let me stand corrected: the prop should be locked on one direction when engaged ahead or astern, but if you turn it hard by hand eventually you will be able to overcome the engine's resistance and the prop will turn despite being locked."

Back