Logo

Exaust bellows

tdsr1

"I have a 1990 18' Bayline

"I have a 1990 18' Bayliner. It has a 3.0 with an alpha 1. The exhaust bellows has come loose and am told that it is not necessary. If this is not necessary, why does Mercury include it? I just had the gimble ring rebuilt, the mechanic replaced all the bellows but now when inspecting I found the exaust bellows off of the transom side of the drive. It is still attached to the drive. Do I need to call the mechanic and have him re-attach it to the transom side. I have yet to get this boat into the water!"

"if u paid to have it done,let

"if u paid to have it done,let him fix it..it is not a critical item,like the u-joint bellows,or shift cable bellows,...it transfers the exhaust under water for quieter operation.Ask him if he is using bellows adhesive...if not or he does'nt know what that is.....chg mech's..."

"Thank you for the reply. I m

"Thank you for the reply. I may have to wait for the repair, but I will have him take care of it. The weather around here is just turning and I am sure he's getting busy. Should he use some type of sealant where it attaches? I read that a sealant is used on the other bellows, (gimble & shift cable) but what about the exaust. Maybe if so, it wouldn't have came loose."

"[b]"Should he use some ty

""Should he use some type of sealant where it attaches? I read that a sealant is used on the other bellows, (gimble & shift cable) but what about the exaust. Maybe if so, it wouldn't have came loose."

Ayuh,...... You are Correct......"

"The mechanic got back to me a

"The mechanic got back to me and said that he is going to repair it. Since he didn't apply any type of sealant, what is the sealant called? So I can suggest, maybe even have some at hand for him to use!"

you might make sure he reworks

you might make sure he reworks the other bellows with adhesive as well (the drive and shift bellows). The downside is far lower if those boots pull free or leak water.

Back