Logo

Oil leak in 251 Catalina

J

John C Day

"Hope someone can help me here

"Hope someone can help me here. I have an '80 Catalina with a 350 inboard. I leave the boat in year around and have been running the motor for about a month now, both at idle and in gear at the pier. The other day I took her for a cruise of about 5 miles and topping out at 3100 rpm. I don't mean wot just didn't want to go any faster. As I was running it I checked the bilge once, and then while returning I looked and the bilge had a lot of oil floating around, it was mixed with water because I have a slow leak at my strut. I was less than 1/2 mile from my pier so I idled in. I lost about 1 quart of oil. I can't see where any is leaking. Just bought a small inspection mirror to look lower on the motor, but I haven't done that yet. Seems a little tight with the stringers on either side of the motor. Any suggestions as to where to concentrate looking and has anyone had any experience with pulling the motor and trans. Any help is appreciated. John"

"Pray it's not the rear ma

"Pray it's not the rear main seal, then look for a leaking valve cove gasket or oil pressure gage fitting.

Jeff"

"Fastjet, thanks for the reply

"Fastjet, thanks for the reply. This morning I put about 1 1/2 quarts of oil in the motor and came home and the oil has leaked out. Felt the pan and it is rusty. I think I have to pull the motor. Do you have any suggestions, etc. on pulling the motor? Thanks. John"

"How about building a frame wi

"How about building a frame with 4 x 4s and using a chainfall? Either that, or make friends with someone with a backhoe.

Jeff"

Back