Logo

Dang Sensor

jonwesley

"Hi! I recently changed out a

"Hi! I recently changed out a damaged impeller on my 454 mercruiser and all seemed right, I took it out on the lake, and the audible alarm for overheating is still going off. I check my guages, and all is good at around 180 degrees.

A friend tells me the sensor on the thermostat is bad, or stuck?? Is this the real issue? Any help would be fantastic!

2001 Wellcraft Excalibur 26ft w/454"

"Is yours an Alpha drive with

"Is yours an Alpha drive with the built in water impeller? Is it FWC, or RWC?
180 seems hot for a marine T'stat; you should likely be running a 160. That may be why the sensor is thinking it is hot; it might be set around there.
Others on this site will likely be able to confirm this.
Rod"

"180 should not set off alarm.

"180 should not set off alarm. are You certain it is a temp alarm? post Your model,as 454 doesn't tell much."

"I'm no mechanic, but it i

"I'm no mechanic, but it is a 454 mercruiser MPI w/bravo 3 outdrive. That is all I can remember at this time. I have it stored, so I have to get the info tommorrow."

"If there are chunks of impell

"If there are chunks of impeller blocking the path of the water and it can't move where it needs to or if the thermostat is clogged, you can see this kind of problem.

FYI- the sensor doesn't 'stick'- there are no moving parts and one overheat won't kill it. However, if the motor got hot enough to melt the plastic wire loom and the insulation on the yellow wire going to the coolant temperature sensor, you will read an overheat."

"Ah...Guys? I am a retard &#40

"Ah...Guys? I am a retard (or Mentally Challenged American, if you prefer). I forgot to check the lower unit drive fluid, which happens to be connected to the Mercruiser "Audible Warning System"... Jeez! A little 90 weight Gear Lube, goes a long way.

Thanks for your responses!"

Back