Logo

Rough Idle 57 2bbl Thunderbolt IV

troym

Advanced Contributor
"Been working this issue for a

"Been working this issue for a while and we've talked about on a few other threads.
I have some new data... may even be an unralated problem.
Started it Friday in the driveway to freshen the batteries. Best it's idled for while.
Put the it in the water Saturday, again, ran and idled fine. Trolled for about 2 hours, no problems, smooth idle, very pleased.
Ran in at 3200 rpm for about 20 minutes, got inside the breakwater and dropped it back to idle (no wake zone) and after a few minutes at idle it started coughing and sputtering. I had to pump the gas and give it more throttle to keep it running. After just a few minutes of that it cleared up, and ran fine.
Any thoughts?"

"A little shot of water found

"A little shot of water found its way thru in the gas? Or maybe some crud in the carb bowl loosened up, dislodged and found its way into the idle jet circuit?
It sounds like it was starving for gas, right?"

"I did have a pretty severe E-

"I did have a pretty severe E-10 water absorbtion problem, but that was 2 tank fulls ago. The fuel added ever since has had stabilizer added and the fuel filter was replaced and carb was cleaned.
I was ready to say I was through all that unitl this little hick-up... maybe more of the same problem... who knows?
I'll keep running it until something breaks and I have a smoking gun."

ugh... one of those problems

ugh... one of those problems that keeps on giving. I think one of the reasons i don't have water issues is because i just burn a lot of gas which flushes the system regularly. hmmm.

Just a thought... are the gaskets on your fuel ports intact?

"What do you mean by fuel port

"What do you mean by fuel ports, the jets? If so, yes, replaced all software with cleaning the carb.
It really is a gift that keeps on giving... I wish it would break and stay broke long enough to figure what the heck is going on."

"Troy,

meant the fuel caps

"Troy,

meant the fuel caps where you fill the tanks. See a few with rotten gaskets that let rain just run into the tanks.

I know what you mean about "staying broke"... cant fix it if it aint broke. Speaking of broke... Out here in LA looking at slips as i think about relocaing from the east coast for business. 40' slip for $750/month with no power!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Sounds like something that sh

"Sounds like something that should be rolled into the benefits package from the new job!

I'll take a look at the gas cap. That is one thing I havn't checked. We haven't had much rain lately, which may be coincident to it running better.
I just filled it too... would suck to have all that fuel get fouled with water."

"Troy:
I had the same inter

"Troy:
I had the same intermittent problem. I ended up fixing it by replacing the the float and needle valve. While it was apart, I poured some carb cleaner in the bowl and let it soak awhile. Cleaned and blew out the jets and metering valves w/comp. air and changed the filter screen--crap was getting into the bowl that looked like fine grains of sand. Turned out to be dried fuel varnish--which looked like hardened earwax--coming from the 19 year old fuel pump.

Changed the pump since the crud was coming from inside it--took it apart to verify it. Also, the pump nipple for the leak siphon hose to the carb was plugged with what looked like the same material.

Guy"

Back