Logo

Replacing a lm318 with a 340360

zee

does anyone have any experienc

does anyone have any experience with replacing a 318 with a 340 or 360. Are the blocks the same? weight size ? bell housing ?? I have a tight space to work with height is critical thanks zee

"318 thru 360 are all based on

"318 thru 360 are all based on the same block, everything should match up perfectly, and retain the same overall dimentions"

"John,
Just to let you know

"John,
Just to let you know Chrysler made two automotive 318s. An "old style", 1957 - 1966, and a "new style", 1967 and newer. The two differ quite a bit as in most parts are not interchangeable between the two.
The "new style" blocks are also referred to as "LA" blocks. LA 318s are much more compatible with the LA 340 and LA 360.
I would research my current engine a bit more.

Hope this helps,
DS"

"Hi David
these engines were

"Hi David
these engines were built in 1970. I believe they are LM318's . I am not much concerned with inter changeable parts as I am with dimensions and mount set up. It needs to be exact. I will be replacing all the other parts, manifolds intake and exhaust, risers , starter, carb and alternator . Hopefully just using the bell housing, water pumps and velvet drives Thanks"

"Many of the exterior parts of

"Many of the exterior parts of a 360 are different from a 318: flywheel, damper pulley, etc.

Jeff"

"The 360 has a different oil p

"The 360 has a different oil pan because it has larger main bearings. Also the 360 is externally balanced so the damper, crank and flywheel are balanced as an assembly and are different from the 273, 318 and 340 engines.
Good luck,
Mike"

"I have a 1976 26' Trojan

"I have a 1976 26' Trojan Express with a single 318 Chrysler (found out it needs rebuild) with a direct 1:1 velvet drive. I just picked up a 360 Chrysler with a borg 2:73 : 1 tranny already attached. The 318 is a right hand rotation but the 360 is a left hand rotation. Is this recommended, and what difference in performance should I expect to see once installed?

Thank You,

James"

Back