Logo

Old Style Gimbal Bearing

R

Robert Waggle

I have a 1969 Mercruiser 160.

I have a 1969 Mercruiser 160. I heard the gibal bearing "growling" and went to replace it. I purchased the new parts and noticed that the original bearing is a sealed bearing with a plastic sleave and snap ring to hold it in place. The bearing I pulled out was the new style bearing. I don't believe that this unit has a grease fitting so that I can use the new style bearing. Any body have advise on how to install the old style bearing? Do I need shims or something to keep it from moving inside of the the housing?

"You can install the new brng

"You can install the new brng in it,u dont re-use snap ring,spin brng around until a grease hole opens up,force grease in spin brng numerous times to get it lubed as well as possible,install.Now,some fellows on here have suggested drilling a grease hole in the side,tapping,installing a zerk for greasing,.I pers have not done this,but i am sure it can be done.Maybe u could post another question,about 'drilling for grease zerk for gimbal brng'...would get there attn....there are sev excellent mercr tech's on here."

"Being that you said I can ins

"Being that you said I can install the new bearing, is the life expectancy longer with the new style w/o the grease fitting or old style?"

"I already have the following

"I already have the following parts:

1) Old Style Bearing
2) Plastic Sleeve
3) Snap Ring

After I put them into the housing, I noticed the bearing swivels around a lot inside of the plastic sleeve and if I turn the bearing from the inside, the entire carrier turns within the sleeve. Is this normal, or am I missing something?"

Back