Logo

1993 70hp Yamaha shutting off

yamahaman

"My engine runs fine for a whi

"My engine runs fine for a while and all of a sudden cuts off. Happens mostly at high speed but has happened at lower speeds. When I put the gear back in neutral and hit the switch, the engine immediately starts back and runs fine for a while (maybe 2 minutes, 30 minutes, or the whole afternoon). I have replaced the fuel line, bulb, rebuilt the fuel pump, and replaced any fittings from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. I have checked for air getting into the line from (and including) the pickup tube at the tank to the carburetors. I have checked the tank for any obstructions but have found none."

When the motor has started to

When the motor has started to shut down have you tried to pump the primer bulb ( if possible). I had almost the same problem. I put on a clear fule line and could see and abvious air leak.

I am no mechanic but this was my one fix.

"Thanks Bigbuilder
However, I

"Thanks Bigbuilder
However, I get no indication the motor is going to cut off. One second it is running fine and the next second it just shuts off.
It may run all day without shutting off and it may run for a minute and shut off.
By the way, where can I obtain clear fuel line? I would think gas would dissolve clear plastic tubing."

I used skidoo fuel line (

I used skidoo fuel line ( which is clear) and left it on there for a couple of years.

Sounds electrical if it shuts off so quick ( high temp or oil level shutoff malfunction??

Never have heard of skidoo fue

Never have heard of skidoo fuel line. Where can I purchase some?

The temp gauge doesn't indicate any overheating (between 120 - 140 which is what it has always run)

I have noticed 2 of the 3 oil indicator warning lights faintly flicker at the same time sometimes. What electrical component would cause that?

I keep the oil tank full. I really hate an intermittant problem. It's hard to test an electrical component when the component hasn't completely failed.

Thanks.

"You could try the 'wiggle

"You could try the 'wiggle' test. Put the boat in the water, take off the cover,start the engine but leave it in nuetral at an idle. Being careful moving parts like the flywheel, start wiggling wiring connections, like the main wiring harness or the battery cables(at both ends) Have some one with you incase you fall in the water like I did. Sometimes you can find an intermittent loose connection this way."

"Sam,
Good advice.
I'll

"Sam,
Good advice.
I'll try that.
I can also test in the backyard with the water earmuffs, right?
Thanks."

Back