Logo

CHRYSLER 440s with CARTER FTB 650 cfm

johnny

I have recently inherited a c

I have recently inherited a customer with a pair of 1977 Chrysler 440s in a BERTRAM 31 with 600-650cfm Carter AFBs on them they have been rebuilt but don't have the tags on them anymore. The carbs are from a pair of older 440s probably late 60s. When the owner opens the throttle to the point where the secondaries open up the RPM drops from about 3400 to 3000 and the fuel pressure goes from 6+ pounds to about 3 psi. The secondaries do not appear to be overfueling it sounds like the motors are leaning out due to lack of fuel delivery and the fuel pressure seems to be reflecting that theory because of the pressure drop. Since the owner has also changed props over the winter I am suspect of my findings but I have over twenty years of experience in the marine industry and my area of expertise are diesels. But judging the way the primarys can push the boat quickly up on a plane I don't think that the boat is over wheeled.

My real thought are the fuel pumps can not keep up with the fuel demand required when the secondaries open up. What size fuel pumps should a setup like this have? And what kind of fuel pressure should be present at wide open throttle?
And what kind of volume is required at WOT?

The motors sound like they want to make the horsepower but just are not getting the fuel to do it. And by the way the filters have been changed and are clean.

does anyone have the specs...

does anyone have the specs....weight height length and width of a 440 inboard? i want to repower my 1963 34' chris craft from 2 283 chevy engines wich are cooked....to engines that are available to me....anyone with this info...i would appreciate brian

Back