Logo

95 JOHNSON 15 hp cold natured

L

lancestapp

" I have a 15 hp Johnson. I

" I have a 15 hp Johnson. I prime it up pull the choke and it usually starts fine. If you try to take off before it has run for a while it will often die. I guess this is not that abnormal for an outboard. But if I run it a mile or two and shut if off to fish a while I have to go through the procedure again. Pump the bulb, full choke and let it run for a while. Then when I take off in gear it acts like it runs out of fuel and I may have to choke it to get it going again. After you get moving well it runs great at all speeds until you shut it off and it cools down. Bulb pumps up well. Always runs great after you finally get it going. Any Ideas? "

"Lance.... what you are descri

"Lance.... what you are describing is a carburetor lean mixture setting on your carburetor. The high speed jet is a fixed jet, but the slow speed is adjustable (the large knob on the front of the carb). Back that adjustable jet out slightly (about 1/4 turn counter-clockwise) and see if that makes a difference.... it should. You may need to turn it out a little more, or less. When you do this, the idle rpm will change so you'll need to reset that also. If the above has no effect, I would strongly suspect that the carburetor on your engine has become somewhat clogged, affecting the fuel flow through the high speed jet (a path the fuel must follow before it arrives at the slow speed jet) and will require cleaning.

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe, I'll try th

" Thanks Joe, I'll try that. "

Back