Logo

Mercury alarm questions

fishnfool

" I have a 94 2.5l 175 mercury

" I have a 94 2.5l 175 mercury on my offshore boat. It has an intermittent alarm going off indicating an oiling problem. It "seems" to be oiling fine and it only starts beeping if I'm in some pretty nasty seas(pounding a bit) I checked the oil cap for the float to see if it was hanging up but it seems to be free. The motor smokes a bit at idle as always even when the alarm is going off. By the time I trailer the boat and start the fresh water rinse, the alarm is off and I can't troubleshoot it to a component level(level or pressure) Any great ideas from the merc God's here? I'm about to be tired of it and although it runs great, I may turn to a four-stroke Yami to rid myself of this mix malfunction. Thanks for any help you guys may be able to give, Bill "

check your water seperator bo

check your water seperator bowl. that alarm is also an intermittant beep. drain it into a clear container to verify water. There is also a light on the lower starboard side of the motor front that comes on when the beeps are occuring. you might have to shake the motor or try lowering the tongue of the trailer to do it out of the water. If your motor is an EFI it will hurt the injection if you don`t clean it.

" the motor is an older carbed

" the motor is an older carbed version and doesn't have any EFI type electronics on it. I have a separate water separator mounted before the motor(of course) but no alarm on it. Just a bowl with a drain valve to check it with. I keep hearing about the "oil motion" alarm but I have absolutely no idea where it is or if my motor is even equipped with it. I'm just curious if there's a quick easy way to tell which sensor it is when it goes off since I won't be able to find it after I shut off for a bit. Thanks again, Bill "

" i have an 1989 mariner 60 hp

" i have an 1989 mariner 60 hp tiller. the beeper goes of as soon as i turn the key, last year it ran fine and no beeping what can i check for?? thanks,tom skinner "

Follow the wires from your oi

Follow the wires from your oil tank sending unit or the oil pump and see if they go to a terminal board. I they do disconnect the wires one at a time until alarm stops. maybe this will narrow it down some.

" I have a 1995 115 merc. last

" I have a 1995 115 merc. last time i went to lake and loaded on trailer i left key on for about two weeks, then alarm came on don't when sometimes in the two week time alarm was on .now when key is on or motor running or not alarm stays on.oil is ok , i can move tilt button up and down a little and will cause alarm to nearly go off. do you think something bad or something easy to fix. thanks "

" I have a 2001 40 hp mercury

" I have a 2001 40 hp mercury classic outboard. Runs good, but yesterday when I took it out an alarm came on from the ignition box - and it won't go off (steady high-pitched alarm). The motor is running fine - I checked it this morning and the alarm is still coming on when I turn the key. Could this just be a loose ground wire or something that simple (this 40 hp is on a 2001 13' boston whaler) "

"I have 200hp Carbureted Mercu

"I have 200hp Carbureted Mercury. I recently had the alarm "beeper" replaced after being inoperative for a couple of months in conjunction with a 100hr service (after approximately 50hrs use). The first time I took the boat out with the new alarm it went off after 15min or so of running on plane. I took it to the dealer and they advised me that the oil warning module was bad, so I replaced that. The next time I went out I went off after an hour or so...Any Ideas?"

"chris,..there is a sensor,on

"chris,..there is a sensor,on top of your oil pump,it is a sensor,that senses rotation,of the oil pum,when it receives ignition pulses,through power pack.my thoughts are,sensor is bad,or your oil pump is malfuncioning.i have seen the gears on the end of oil pump compl stripped,.i would strongly suggest pulling oil pump and inspecting."

"I have a 2001 Mercury Optimax

"I have a 2001 Mercury Optimax 225 HP Saltwater Series with 100 hours on the motor. The alarm buzzer is beeping 4 times when the key is on. The diagnostic code reads "Sea Temp CKT HI". In the back of the manual, the full code reads "Sea/Lake Temperature Circuit High". The motor appears to be running fine other than the beeping indication. Can you tell me what needs to be done to correct this?
Thanks! My work email is [email protected] and my home email is [email protected]
smile.gif
"

"I have learned that the diagn

"I have learned that the diagnostic codes were incorrect. The 4 beeps indicate the main oil reservoir located on the motor level is low. There are two possible fixes. First, check the low level switch (under $15.00 to replace). If this does not correct the issue, replace the oil reservoir (about $40). Inside the reservoir is a magnetic float that the level switch senses."

"My 1994 two stroke, 3 cylinde

"My 1994 two stroke, 3 cylinder Merc outboard alarm test works OK when I turn the key. After starting, with good top water indicator outflow, slight smoke and water out of the prop, the alarm starts after a minute or so. It's continuous. I disconnected first one, then both blue wires from the oil tank. it still alarmed, but the alram went off when I was fiddling with the wire bundle under the starter motor. When I was examining the wire bundle under the starter motor behind the oil tank the alarm went off. It stayed off until I started messing with the wires again. Now it won't go off at all. Also, there is a black with one white stripe wire, and a brown wire, in the same vicinity that are not connected to anything. They are male and female of the same size. The engine doesn't seem to be overheating as the water outflow is strong, steady, and luke warm. Any Idea what I should try next?"

Back