Logo

1985 Bayliner 27 w 260 Volvo Stalling Problems

B

boatloadfun

" A dockmate is wearing me out

" A dockmate is wearing me out physically and mentally with the following problem with his boat. Boat motor starts easily and runs excellent for 10-15 minutes at cruise speed. When motor reaches a normal operating tempature it starts to stall, sputter, loses power and will not run at much more than idle speed. Boat is not overheating but problem increases as outside tempature increases. Boat then is hard to start as starter only spins engine one or two revolutions before spinning free/loose. When ?motor?, ?electrical?, ?fuel system? cools off the boat runs fine again for 10-15 minutes. Recent components replaced trying to pinpoint problem include: Plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, points, condenser, coil, alternator, battery, fuel filter, fuel tank inspected and vent was cleaned. We have not replaced fuel pump as fuel delivery seems OK. I will thank you in advance for specific topics to consider such as vapor lock, engine electrical, fuel starvation, demons, curse's, etc. Specific procedures for checking/repairing your idea's are appreciated.

If someone doesn't help us find the problem soon I suggested he consider renaming the boat to: "MAKES NO WAKE" "FOR SALE" "ALWAYS UNDER-TOW" "STATIC DISPLAY" "TOW-TALY UNRELIABLE" "

" Usually heat effects the coi

" Usually heat effects the coils or fuel delivery system(vaporlock). The coil has alreaddy been replaced so the next time the boat quits, remove the backfire arrestor from the carb and see if gas is being squirted down carb when throttle is mashed. If you have fuel injection a fuel presure guage may be needed to check that minimum pressure is obtained after engine is warm. Any body else out there got any ideas Please chime in as I am guessing a bit here. Kim "

" boatloadfun,
The ignition

" boatloadfun,
The ignition switch could be bad. Usually this happens once inthe life of a boat or car. Being that you have gone through about every thing else in the ignition system, it's worth a try. Note: get a marine grade switch and be sure to point the drain hole down.
Eddie "

Back