Logo

Crusader Engine Problems

F

falletta

" My father-in-law has had thr

" My father-in-law has had three new Crusader Engines fail. He is not an internet guy so asked if I would check to see if there is anything on the net about problems.

I don't have all the details, but the boat is approximately 35' with two inboard crusaders. If I have the story correct, water has made it into the cylinders through an exhaust manifold.

Let me know if anyone has ever heard of this type of problem.

Thanks "

" If the exhaust flappers are

" If the exhaust flappers are bad on the back of the boat, this could suck water into the cylinders while backing up. Or the exhaust manifold riser (the top part of the exhaust manifold)or gasket(s) are bad. This will also introduce water into the cylinders. "

Water can also be introduced

Water can also be introduced into the cylinders if the engine diesels when shut down.

" The manifold gaskets on my C

" The manifold gaskets on my Crusader 454 XLI series engines are starting to weep a little rust. The engines only have 350 hours on them. I have been told I should change the gaskets immediately and I have also been told I should leave them be. The engines run great otherwise, I am concerned about possibly opening a can of worms by having the gaskets replaced but I am fearfull of ending up with water in my oil and a blown engine if I dont. The mechanic says these riser gaskets are the weak link on these Crusaders. Does anyone have an opinion on this? "

" I don't know Mark, but I

" I don't know Mark, but I have a 94 Carver 40ft with the same engines as yours...My port engine manifolds are scorched but the engine still runs about 165 degrees...I am concerned about the risers as well. The advice I have received says "don't wait" replace now while it's still just a $1500 job, not 10,000 for a new engine. I'm going to replace the risers.... "

" I have two crusader 350'

" I have two crusader 350's 300 hrs. ea. One runs at 190 degrees after redoing impeller, water pump, trans cooler, and checking hoses, new thermostat. What should I chase down next. the other runs a nice 160 deg. Any thoughts. "

" I have two crusader 350'

" I have two crusader 350's 300 hrs. ea. One runs at 190 degrees after redoing impeller, water pump, trans cooler, and checking hoses, new thermostat. What should I chase down next. the other runs a nice 160 deg. Any thoughts. "

" I would start troubeshooting

" I would start troubeshooting from the seacock, making sure the water intake is clean and confirm
proper water flow, this is true for most fresh and raw water system. Next check the water filter, the raw water impeller ( which is most of the time the cause.)

Just let me know from here, How does it look.

Seacruiser "

My starboard 305 crusader wil

My starboard 305 crusader will die after I run it for a while then drop down to idle or dead slow. It won't restart until a couple hours elapse. Do you think it could be my igniton module?

Re: " My father-in-law has had thr

Sea water is from the risers, coolant is from the heads or gaskets, Which liquid is it? Is there alot of steam while running or does the problem only exist after shut down? Does the engine hydro lock ever?

Re: " The manifold gaskets on my C

Is the rust at the head / manifold gasket or the riser gasket, alittle rust at riser is normal . Is there a temp issue. If not leave it alone for now but keep up the inspections and watch your gauges, there is nothing abnormal at this piont.

Back