Logo

Briggs and Stratton inboard motor installation

chris

Regular Contributor
" About twenty-five or thirty

" About twenty-five or thirty years ago I sent away for information on how to power a small boat with a lawn mower engine. I think the fellow who wrote the instructions called himself Capt. Woody Owens, but I'm not sure about that. In any case, I'm now ready to try it and I've lost the information. Any advise would be welcome.

Thanks,

Chris "

I've got a 1959 Owens and

I've got a 1959 Owens and the ignition key has Briggs and Stratton on it.Maybe check with the Owens Yacht club for information.

" Chris, we have covered this

" Chris, we have covered this topic several times on this forum, but will be happy to repeat. For safetys sake do not try this project! PLEASE! Briggs engines are great for lawnmowers but were not designed for boats. They lack all of the safety features incorporated into inboard gas engines. Specifically if a teaspoon of gas or even gas vapors are in the bilge of a boat these engines will or can ignite these fumes and it is not a pretty picture. As far as the boat with the key stamped B&S, I believe it is because the key blank also fits a Briggs ignition switch. Kim "

" Chris, while it is true t

" Chris, while it is true that these are not true marine engines it can be done. Every year in June at Oxford Md. a group gets together to race their skiffs. These boats are all powered with 16 or 18hp Briggs and Stratton engines coupled to straight drive shafts.I would suggest trying for info. from St.Micheals Maritime Museum on the Smith island crab skiffs. Good luck and have fun!!!! "

Re: " About twenty-five or thirty

" About twenty-five or thirty years ago I sent away for information on how to power a small boat with a lawn mower engine. I think the fellow who wrote the instructions called himself Capt. Woody Owens, but I'm not sure about that. In any case, I'm now ready to try it and I've lost the information. Any advise would be welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

Email me...I know exactly how to do this. [email protected]

Re: " About twenty-five or thirty

Ayuh,... This thread is 8 Years old, 'n the OP hasn't been here since 04....
I doubt he'll be emailing you...

But,... By posting yer email address,.. The Robo-spammers will fill yer mailbox with spam in no time...
I suggest you edit it out....;)

I was not involved with ME.com 8 years ago, but when I saw this topic this morning....., I couldn't help but to peek in!

Ditto Bondo re; the email address. Best contact Andrew, and ask if he'll edit it out, since we are eventually timed-out for doing an edit.

As for the Briggs & Statton used for an Inboard idea :mad:

images

Furthermore..... shame on anyone who would suggest, recommend or explain how to do this.

Back