Logo

Mercury 150 Outboard

J

John B.

" Nice Board!!
What is the no

" Nice Board!!
What is the normal operating temperature for a 1983 Mercury 150 V6? I have a temperature gauge on it, but it pegs out at 220 after 5 minutes of running. I can touch the head and it is hot, but not burning hot. The gauge is an aftermarket teleflex gauge. I also have a water pressure gauge and it runs about 15-20 at wot. Any Comments?

Also, what octane fuel should I use? I run in the gulf and fuel at the marinas isn't cheap.
Thanks. "

"John,

That sounds too hot;

"John,

That sounds too hot; the temperature should not go beyond 180 degrees. Maybe the sender is not working properly.

"

" Thanks. Is there a way to c

" Thanks. Is there a way to check the temperature? Also, should the temperature be that of the water or the metal? The sender is placed on the head and is pressing against the head below the sparkplug. I know about automobile engines, but outboards are new to me.
Thanks "

" John,

The V-6 Mercs usual

" John,

The V-6 Mercs usually have a temperature gauge sender on the port head and a warning buzzer sender on the starboard head, however on an older engine things may be different due to changes that have been made.

Identify the gauge sender. You can remove it to test it if you want. Place it in hot water and see if the gauge reads the same as a thermoter placed in the water. You can also use a temperature probe if you have one. It should read about the same as the temp gauge when you touch it to the head near the sender. You could also use your finger. If the temp gauge reads 220 degrees, and you can touch the head near the sender withuot getting burned, you can assume that either the gauge or the sender is faulty.

Tony "

" Thanks Tony.
I will check t

" Thanks Tony.
I will check the sender and Gauge this afternoon.
What Octane Fuel should I use. Right now I am using 93 octane with Quicksilver oil. Fuel is very expensive on the Gulf Coast, so if I could use the cheaper fuel, the better. "

Back