Logo

Chris craft express 25b

J

Jeff Schmaltz

" I bought a Chris craft 25&#3

" I bought a Chris craft 25' the engine is marine power305. My questipn is when the engine is running, the transmission makes a grinding noise at iidle speedwhen the boat is in gear or not. My mechanic thinks it is the tortion damper.I put a stick from my ear to the bellhousing andto the rear of the transmission, the noise is alot louder at the rear of the transmission. The noise stops when the rpm's go up. Can anyone give me some ideas on what it may be "

"Welcome to Catalinaville, Jef

"Welcome to Catalinaville, Jeff! There are several 251 owners on this board. If the ATF is fresh and up to normal level on the dipstick, and if the gear operates normally other than making the noise, I'd suspect you're hearing reverse gear backlash noise. The prop may be turning slowly in reverse when the shifter is in neutral.

My manual lists the following as possible causes: low oil pressure (bad pump?), worn clutch plates, reverse gear band needs adjusting. The noise going away at higher speed may be due to higher pump pressure overcoming the problem(s). Also check your shaft alignment.

"

" As Croozertoo said, welcome

" As Croozertoo said, welcome to Catalinaville! I also have a 251 Catalina 1977 with the 305K motor. My tranny was making noise last fall while winterizing when the weather turned cold. The noise was like a scraping sound and occasionally the prop would spin a little (in neutral) as the motor was revved. The sound disappeared this Spring when the weather warmed up. Another guy on this site said his sounded like a box of rocks! I think that if the fluid is clean and the shaft is in alignment don't sweat it. But play it safe if the noise is real bad.
Good Luck
Joe "

" thanks for the info, I pulle

" thanks for the info, I pulled the starter and separated the shaft then turned the transmission back and fourth the clutch plate sounded verry rough and sloppyI'm going to change it tomarrow. I'll let you know more later.Jeff "

Back