Logo

1992 Merc 200 runs real rough and smokes

M

Mark Bates

" I have a 1992 Merc 200 that

" I have a 1992 Merc 200 that runs rough and will at full throttle is at 1,800 rpm. I noticed oil coming out of the gas line primer bulb (in line before mixed with seperate oil line) and oil slick under prop (run with cuffs in drive way). Any suggestions? "

Mark...Firstly you say 1800rp

Mark...Firstly you say 1800rpm is this the max RPM you are getting or is it idling at that speed? Your oil problem doesnt make sense. Your oil is comming out of the gas line primer bulb...this bulb should not leak anything. If it is leaking you must replace it. If it leaks oil it will certainly leak gas and that can be real dangerous. Does the outlet hose of your oil injection pump go to the fuel pump or to a brass T-Fitting? If you have the T-fitting this part may be defective causing oil to flow in the wrong direction. Your oil slick under prop is this the consistency of 2 stroke oil or the consistency of gas with a black color? With this info we could pinpoint your problem.

" Tony
1,800 is the max RPM I

" Tony
1,800 is the max RPM I am getting
The bulb was leaking at the hose connection so I replaced the clamps. The leak has stopped. After winter storage, I noticed what seemed to be pure oil leaking out of the bulb. I know it doesn't make sense as it should be pure gas. Is there a check valve that may have failed? I will check for the brass fitting. I am out of town so won't be back until the weekend. The oil slick appears to be gas with a black color.
Thanks for helping. "

Mark...Ok i have a rough idea

Mark...Ok i have a rough idea now and ill try and point you in the right direction. Firstly as with any troubleshooting process you should do a compression test and spark test. Compression should be at least 100psi and reasonably even between all cylinders. Spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue flame. If spark checks out OK test your stator. If the high speed windings have failed you will have good spark at cranking speed yet the motor wont rev beyond 1800-2000 RPM. Remove your airbox cover and now using your primer bulb pump fuel up until bulb goes hard. While doing this look into the carb throats to see if your carbs are flooding. If they are you will need to remove and rebuild them paying particular attention to the inlet needles and float adjustments. This flooding usually causes the oil slick that you describe. Let us know what you find.

Back