Logo

STATOR 1978 MERC 1500

bbterry

I had to redo the wires on my

I had to redo the wires on my stator. The insulation was cracking and coming off so i put new wire from where the wires come out from under the fly wheel to the block on the side of the engine. Now the battery wont stay charged. I was careful to get them back the way they were. What would happen if i got them crossed. If i let the boat set for a couple of days without use the battery is almost dead.

" DEAR BB...HAVING A DEGREE IN

" DEAR BB...HAVING A DEGREE IN ELECTRONICS AND HAVE ATTEMPTED SERVICE ON SUCH ITEMS...YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF REMOVING THE ENTIRE STATOR AND HAVING A REPLACEMENT AR HAVING IT REWOUND..THE LATTER MAY BE A PROBLEM.ALL THE WIRING IN STARTER MOTORS,ALT AND STATORS ARE BARE COPPER WIRE...WITH A THIN COATING OF A HIGH TEMP VARNISH TO INSULATE THE WINDINGS. AS YOU MENTIONED HEATING UP THE ASSY COULD MELT THE VARNISH AND CAUSE A DIRECT SHORT..OR CONNECTION BETWEEN THE WINDINGS. A SMALL OHM MEATER WOULD BE A GOOD TOOL TO START WITH. ALSO CHECK THE DIODES...HI RES ONE DIRECTION AND OPEN THE OTHER...A SERVICE MANUAL WITH DIAG WOULD BE HELPFUL GOOD LUCK AND CHECK THROUGHLY BEFORE SCRAPPING THE ASSY. REWINDERS ARE FAR AND INBETWEEN THESE DAYS AS IMPORTS ARE CHEAPER THAN NEW. "

" Bbterry,
Before you do exte

" Bbterry,
Before you do extensive work. Check that it isn't the battery that has gone old and is discharging itself internally. If you use your "last season" battery, it might has gone bad. Disconnect one of the leads from the battery, and put a milliampmeter in series. If you get a reading, (when not running), the motor or wiring is consuming some current, and has to be troubleshooted. If not, it is only the battery, that has to be replaced.
An old battery that is just stored during winter, can be bad the next season.
regards
robert "

Back